User Profile
My doctor's nurse gave me a call yesterday to inform me that I am postmenopausal. my fsh is 125.3. I am 41, have no children, just got married and have been trying to get pregnant, so needless to say I was very upset. She was very sweet. She gave me the number to a fertility specialist. I explained that this was something we couldn't afford. She gave me the number anyway (she also informed me that I am probably diabetic and that I need to speak to my gp). That was the end of the conversation. Now that I'm a bit calmer, I'm wondering: should she have asked me to come back in to speak to the doctor about my options in terms of treatment for all of the things that are going on with me as a result of the menopause? My doctor knows that I'm depressed, have a diminished libido, etc. I should have asked the nurse these questions yesterday, but wasn't really thinking clearly because of my hysteria.
thank you!!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2010
Menopause Answer A17530
Welcome to ehealthforum.
You do have options to discuss your test results with our gynecologist or with an infertility specialist. See if HRT (hormonal replacement therapy) can be of any use. If you have stopped having your periods, then chances of ovulation (egg release from ovary) is not there making your chances for pregnancy almost nil. However, if the other hormonal levels are fine (thyroid levels, cholesterol levels, LH ,DHEAS etc) then a trial for egg harvesting and pregnancy can be done.
Go ahead with a detailed discussion with an Infertility specialist if you are planning to have children, it will give you clear picture of interactions between your symptoms, medication use and chances of pregnancy. Do not delay further, the more you delay, the more your chances keep going down.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menopause , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.