All my life I have been ridiculed for my weight.
"You're too skinny.""
" You need to eat more."
" You look like a heroine/coke addict."
" You look dangerously skinny."
etc.
These words have been in my life by my family, friends, teachers, etc. every single day of my life.
At one point it got so bad that I went to a dr., as soon as I went into her office without doing any tests or anything, she immediatly off the bat said, "You're anorexic, I can tell by your body signs. I can give you medical leave from your work because I know a really great support rehab center that I can get you into." and my jaw dropped because I know for a fact I am not what she thinks I am. I am the one putting three meals into my mouth a day, and keeping it down. As my blood test results came in it proved to her that I was completely healthy. It just sucks hearing these hurtful words every day from the people that are closest to me. I feel asif calling someone fat and overweight is just as bad if not worse as calling someone too skinny because when you're overweight you can change that, given I know it is a very difficult task, but it is do-able. People like me, who are naturally skinny, can not change how they look. I can't put weight on no matter how much I work out to get toned muscles, or how many protein shakes I drink, or how much food I eat.
I was just wanting to know whether I was the only one out there?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
you should talk to a nutritionist.
maybe the meals your eating could be the reason for you not gaining muscle tone or weight on you.
for people to jump at you like that is not fair, and im sorry you have to go through something like that everyday.
but there are resources you can go to.
a nutritionist may be able to help with this and provide helpful food choices to build muscle and weight and tone you.
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
i agree
i noticed that whenever i get stressed i lose even more weight. last october i was 85 lbs and i am 20 years old. so with all of the comments from people just kinda drove me crazy. then on top of a full time job and schooling, it all adds on to not giving me time to eat a full balanced meal.
i try to eat, my mom and boyfriend try very hard to get me to eat as often as possible, but what they dont realize is that my stomach isnt that big, and then they get to thinking i do have some kind of eating disorder because of the amounts that i eat on my plate. i can never win.
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
Supporter
One of my friends has the same problem, jewelia. No matter how much she eats she can't seem to put on weight. When she was pregnant with her kids the only thing that showed was her tummy and she lost that within a few weeks of giving birth. I think you're getting comments because (1)it's not 'normal' for people to have trouble putting on weight in a time where so many battle the bulge (2) people are concerned about your health and (3) some people are jealous; they refuse to believe that you have a legitimate argument and it makes them feel better to imagine that you are doing something abnormal to stay so thin.
As long as you are healthy, there is nothing wrong with your size. You may want to come up with a few surefire come backs for the people who speak to you so rudely. Then you can put these people in their place and not be so bothered by their insensitive comments. Here's one: If I were overweight you wouldn't dare tell me to go on a diet. So why is it okay to make comments about how skinny I am?
Good luck and chin up.
Btw, my friend is always told how great she looks and how 'jealous' her friends are of her. She'd like to have more curves but has come to love and accept her figure.
|

replied March 8th, 2009
Any professional has no right to say things like that.Our personal opinion is always kept within ourselves and never outspoken.The client's confidentiality must be the first priority,too.Only helpful things must be said and proper advice given.

Have you checked your thyroid?The reason why you can not put on weight is either metabolic or your energy intake is low.You can increase it by adding energy-dense and nutritious snacks such as avocado,nuts or cheese with a piece of bread.
When you train you need to ahve a specific meal plan for that day!
You may be actually losing the lean mass during exercise if you do not eat enough protein or just don't get enough energy overall.
|

replied August 8th, 2010
It could just be ur naturally slim. But I have heard of people who have an over-active thyroid. They were all told by their doctors that they were anorexic but they honestly weren't. It could be that. Or u could just be very slim. If I were u. I'd eat as big a meal as possible in front of as many friends or family as possible eg xmas dinner. This will prove to them that you're not anorexic u may just have a fast metabolism. I'm 14 and I've got a really fast metabolism apparently. So it could be that. Some people were worried that i was bulimic or anorexic and i had to keep telling them i wasn't but they will eventually believe u. Also try to find if it is an over-active thyroid or metabolism. Go to a different doctor not that horrible judgemental lady. gd luck and I hope this helps.
|

replied August 8th, 2010
Experienced User
Hey Jewelia!

I know someone who is exactly like you! So skinny but ate all three meals a day, as often as she could, etc. But she still wouldn't gain weight.

She was like this for YEARS and everyone thought she was throwing up what she ate or starve herself when people weren't around.

Well, finally, after YEARS... they found out that she is allergic to dairy, wheat, and protein from red meat. It cuts out a huge amount of what most people eat. I forgot what the problem was called specifically, but basically she needed a whole new diet and in different portions too!

She is gaining weight now, and is well on her way to becoming a healthy enough weight to have a baby.

Talk to a doctor and a nutritionist, as perhaps this is the case with you.
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....