Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

I am concerned about myself and my sleeping

User Profile
I am very concerned. I've had epilepsy since birth, I wanted to go ahead and say this from the beginning. Lastnight I woke up exactly 3 times desperatly trying to breathe. I don't know if it was the sensation of being choked, because I've never been choked, or what it was. I'm waking up, immediatly jumping up trying to breathe. It feels as if my air flow was completely blocked and I don't know what or why this happened. I have no feeling as if someone is in the room with me only that I'm trying to breathe. I considered a small siezure could be the answer, but I know if this was the case I would not have remembered any of this happening. I am at a loss and it concerns me greatly. This has never happened to me before. The last time, the 3rd time, lastnight I sat up immeditaly shaking my head back and forth and I clutched my chest because I couldn't get air down my throat but I never sensed any fear just trying to breathe..I remember this. Someone, please help me understand what happened to me and will this happen again?? ..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 3rd, 2012
There are many types of seizures, many of which you don't cause you to lose consciousness, so just because you were aware of everything does not mean it was not a seizure. You many be experiencing some other medical issue. Do you have any history of asthma or allergies? You might want to start there.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....