Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Q and A Forum

i am afraid of miscarriage. can you please help me?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
i am 11 weeks pregnant right now. i heard my bay hearbeat at 7 weeks. i am having no bleeding no cramping symptoms but i am afraid of miscarriage. can you please help me to remove my fear. do i need to go for another scan before 5 months as i have refused for genetic screening in 12 weeks. thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2012
Pregnancy Q and A Answer A38716
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The 5th month scan (usually done between gestational age of 16-20 weeks) and is done to look for or rule out anomalies. If you are worried, you can go ahead with getting serial HCG levels tested. Serial HCG levels estimation showing doubling up of the hormone levels in 48-72 hours will show that pregnancy is going on smoothly. If HCG levels are not adequate, then external hormonal supplements would be considered to be started to help you in preventing miscarriage. Visit your doctor/gynecologist for further evaluation and assistance. Go ahead with the next scan as recommended. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet. Look out for danger signs like increase in intensity of abdominal cramps, increasing back pain, fresh bleeding etc. Avoid lifting any heavy weights and avoid heavy work. Avoid standing for long durations and avoid climbing stairs. Avoid use of caffeinated and carbonated beverages.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.