Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Hysterectomy Question

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
User Profile
My wife recently had a hysterectomy about a month ago. Her hysterectomy was a partial I guess. Only the uterus was removed. They tried to get the cervix, but that was attached to the bladder via scare tissue so they tried to remove as much as possible but were not able to get it all due to fear of damaging the bladder. About 3 weeks after the surgery she woke up and went to the bathroom only to find that there was a blot clot followed by bleeding. We went to emergency where they did a CT scan and said that nothing looked out of the ordinary. However, since then she has passed several very large clots, some probably the circumference of a baseball and she continues to bleed throughout the day. She also followed up with her OBGYN the following day and he stated the same thing. Though not as large, she still is passing blood clots and is bleed as if it were menstrual. Any Clue?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2010
Hysterectomy Answer A10493

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. In view of the large blood clots your wife passed, there’s a possibility of leaking from one of the blood vessels n the cervix and the collection of blood resulting in the formation of clot. However, as the CT scan is normal and the local examination done by the gynaecologist is also okay, I don’t think there should be anything to be worried about. You should ask your wife to keep a watch on the same. In case such big clots are passed again, then you should consult the gynaecologist. Meanwhile, please get her haemoglobin level assessed and in case it is low, she will need iron supplements.

I sincerely hope this information helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hysterectomy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.