Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

hypothyroid and infertility


I have been diagnosed hypo for about 4 years. I am on 75mcg of levothyroxine and my tsh, t3, and t4 are in normal range. My endo recently tested my antibodies and they are very elevated 1533. A normal level is less than 60. I have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years, with one pregnancy that ended in a miscarriage. My endo told me that the elevated antibodies could be the problem, but there is not any treatment for this. Just keep taking my meds to keep my levels normal. Does anyone know of anything that can help?

Did you find this post helpful?

replied August 29th, 2009
The doctor can give you something to make you have a pregnacy called metaformin it for diebites but some women take it to have a pregnacy.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 10th, 2009
I too was recently diagnosed as hypothyroid. We have been trying to have a baby for 10 years. We checked my vitamin D levels and found I was very low. Once I changed my thyroid medicine to Armour (I do MUCH better on the drug Armour Thyroid as opposed to Levothyroxine.) for my thyroid and started taking Bio D Mulsion (D3 is the only form of vitamin D which is bioavailable) then I got pregnant easily! And I am 40 years old! I did have to take the vitamin D for 3 months and the Armour for 3 months before it happened though. I understand it takes 3 months to make the new eggs which would have the benefit of the medicines and vitamins.

I'd also strongly recommend you see your gynecologist for help ASAP, there are lots of fertility meds that might benefit you too. As a final note, has your husband/partner had his sperm counts checked? You might be surprised to find they are low and if so there are things you can do. This also happened to us. Things like soy (which is estrogen) can cause sperm counts to plummet, as just one example. There are lots of good products out there. My husband took Conception XR and his sperm counts went up dramatically.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
You would need GnRH analogues or clomiphene to overcome this problem.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn what the thyroid does, and the characteristics of thyroid disease here. In this intro section, we'll also review types of thyroid disorders MDs diagnose....
Specific medical conditions can trigger thyroid disease. Learn the basics about causes and risk factors for thyroid problems here....
Learn the symptoms for various thyroid know when to seek medical help! A complete list of thyroid symptoms here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.