A year ago my blood sugar level was 50 (fasting). My doctor told me that I had hypoglycemia. The blood work also showed low B-12. I bought a monitor and I have never been below 70 when I test it myself (usually 70-90). Recently, I had another blood test (not fasting) and it showed my blood sugar was elevated and my B-12 was normal. I feel weak all of the time, and have severe depression, generalized anxiety, and resting pulse rate between 120 - 130 now. I am very confused, and every doctor I visit and blood tests all say something different each time.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 20th, 2008
hypoglycemia? symptoms or totally unrelated?
I believe I have hypoglycemia, but its not been diagnosed to date. I feel nauseated if I do not eat for an extended period. Can also see lately, flashes of light, a strobe light appearance in perriphreal vision (sic), which lasts 10-20 or more minutes.

My biggest concern may be totally unrelated to any of this. I had mentioned to my current doctor, unfortunately he kinda blew off any answer at all. I am 49 years old, about 15 lbs., overweight, smoke, have emphysema, COPD, and my B/P which has till now been low is now slightly high for me. 134/90. I need advise on whether the head 'pain' I feel is lack of oxygen, a type of migrane, or symptom of hypoglycemia, its like no other headache/migrane I've ever had.

I started taking an over the counter sleep aid about 3 to 4 months ago. I felt the need to slack off, maybe 1 or 2 nights a month currently. One of the reasons I quit is that I would wake in the morning as my alarm sounded. I'd try to lift my head from my pillow, but the pain at the base of my skull was very intense, like a weight. I refer to it as a concrete feeling, I force myself to lift my head and upper body I literally am moaning from the pain, which stops as soon as I am all the way up. This has happened several times. It did NOT always happen each night I used the sleep aid, however has ceased drastically.

For anyone who knows the feelings following the test for heartburn/ indigestion,etc... where they make you drink this disgusting liquid, then lie down for the testing, they tell you at the end to 'drink lots of water' in the next 24 hours or so, as they warn of a 'heavy' feeling in your head. This pain and 'concrete' feeling is much like that was, and seems to basically effect the base of my skull.
|

replied August 23rd, 2009
Stan, help!
Hi Stan, thank you for your huge input and help on this forum. I would value your opinion on the following:

53 year old female, occasional hypo episodes for decades, gone into overdrive in past month. Will hypo after every meal if I don't eat constantly to stay on top of things.
Doing the diet, eat absolutely no sugar whatsoever, only protein and complex carbs.
Managing to keep hypos at bay 95% of the time now, but feel far from well and unable to leave house. My bloods are in what I think is a very good range (90 -150, averaging around 100), although I can have a hypo at 97.

I am eating very simple, unadorned food generally. Last night, for dinner, my partner
made me something I've had many times before I went on the diet. I checked the ingredients, saw no sugar issues and went ahead. It was a Thai green chicken curry.
The sauce was made from a packet mix and a can of coconut milk. I ate this at 7.30.
At 8.05, my blood reading was 128. At 8.35, blood 104. Ate half avocado and few bites cheese. At 9.0, blood had plummeted to 37, a drop of 67 in 25 minutes. I had never gone so low before, panicked and grabbed 3 teaspoons sugar. (I'd never reached for anything sugary before, always something from the diet to recover, but I realised this was dangerously low.) My question is, WHAT ON EARTH was in that meal to cause this?
Can I please list the ingredients on packets, and do you or anyone out there know of
such a reaction to any of them, and WHY?

THAI CURRY PASTE INGREDIENTS:

GARLIC, GREEN CHILLIES, LEMON GRASS, ONIONS, SALT, GINGER, GALANGAL, YELLOW CHILLIES, CORRIANDER, CUMIN, KAFFIR LIME PEEL, RICE VINEGAR, CORRIANDER SEEDS, WHITE PEPPER.

COCONUT MILK INGREDIENTS:

75% COCONUT EXTRACT, THICKNER, GUAR GUM, XANTHAN GUM,SODIUM CARBOXYMETHYL, CELLULOSE,
EMULSFIER, DISTILLED MONOGLYCERIDES,POLYSORBATE 60, ANTIOXIDANT: SODIUM METABISULPHITE
E223.

It cannot be hidden sugars, because after I had to take the 3 emergency spoonfuls of sugar, my bloods climbed no higher than 150, and levelled out around 115 and were fine
for the rest of the night. I was so afraid that the episode marked a new phase of
blood lows for me, and would happen again, but so far today, no problems.

Ideas, thoughts, similar experiences anyone out there? Many thanks.
|

replied August 23rd, 2009
Stan, help!
Hi Stan, thank you for your huge input and help on this forum. I would value your opinion on the following:

53 year old female, occasional hypo episodes for decades, gone into overdrive in past month. Will hypo after every meal if I don't eat constantly to stay on top of things.
Doing the diet, eat absolutely no sugar whatsoever, only protein and complex carbs.
Managing to keep hypos at bay 95% of the time now, but feel far from well and unable to leave house. My bloods are in what I think is a very good range (90 -150, averaging around 100), although I can have a hypo at 97.

I am eating very simple, unadorned food generally. Last night, for dinner, my partner
made me something I've had many times before I went on the diet. I checked the ingredients, saw no sugar issues and went ahead. It was a Thai green chicken curry.
The sauce was made from a packet mix and a can of coconut milk. I ate this at 7.30.
At 8.05, my blood reading was 128. At 8.35, blood 104. Ate half avocado and few bites cheese. At 9.0, blood had plummeted to 37, a drop of 67 in 25 minutes. I had never gone so low before, panicked and grabbed 3 teaspoons sugar. (I'd never reached for anything sugary before, always something from the diet to recover, but I realised this was dangerously low.) My question is, WHAT ON EARTH was in that meal to cause this?
Can I please list the ingredients on packets, and do you or anyone out there know of
such a reaction to any of them, and WHY?

THAI CURRY PASTE INGREDIENTS:

GARLIC, GREEN CHILLIES, LEMON GRASS, ONIONS, SALT, GINGER, GALANGAL, YELLOW CHILLIES, CORRIANDER, CUMIN, KAFFIR LIME PEEL, RICE VINEGAR, CORRIANDER SEEDS, WHITE PEPPER.

COCONUT MILK INGREDIENTS:

75% COCONUT EXTRACT, THICKNER, GUAR GUM, XANTHAN GUM,SODIUM CARBOXYMETHYL, CELLULOSE,
EMULSFIER, DISTILLED MONOGLYCERIDES,POLYSORBATE 60, ANTIOXIDANT: SODIUM METABISULPHITE
E223.

It cannot be hidden sugars, because after I had to take the 3 emergency spoonfuls of sugar, my bloods climbed no higher than 150, and levelled out around 115 and were fine
for the rest of the night. I was so afraid that the episode marked a new phase of
blood lows for me, and would happen again, but so far today, no problems.

Ideas, thoughts, similar experiences anyone out there? Many thanks.
|