Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia waking me up at night?

I'm an 18 year old girl and have recently been dealing with reactive hypoglycemia. I used to eat a lot of sugary and carb-laden foods, and started dealing with low blood sugar symptoms that would get worse as I continued to eat this way. So, I changed my diet to more protein and fats and it's been helping a lot during the day. However, the night is a different story. I've been eating a small snack before bed (usually a protein and fat source) and I repeatedly wake up anywhere from 12-1 am and feel a lot of adrenaline and then start to notice low blood sugar symptoms. I get some juice and a protein source and within a couple hours I can usually fall back asleep.

I really want to stop waking up at night, though. I lose a good chunk of sleep and its awful because I have to wake up early for class every day. Is eating a snack before bed causing my blood sugar level to rise and drop during the night? Or is it something else? What can I do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2015
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. its common in low carb high protein diet. However gluconeogenesis should take care of that. if you feel like hypoglycemic i would suggest take some starch before bed time and it will take care of the hypoglycemic episodes. Reduce the meal intake at night to prevent reactive hypoglycemia and keep some glucose at bed side to be on the safer road.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.

Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Diet, Low Fat
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hypoglycemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.