Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia Symptoms - Over-Emotional, but not Raging?

My long-distance boyfriend has been diagnosed with hypoglycemia since he was 4 years old. With careful dieting, his parents kept in under control when he was a kid, but as an adult he wasn't as careful, and in the past six months since I moved away for an internship, he would have these episodes at night of severe irrationality, intense rage, confusion, etc. We only just realized recently that it was his hypoglycemia causing these episodes, and since going back on a high-protein low-carb diet, he's been a totally new person, much calmer and generally healthier. No more fits of rage that he didn't remember the next day...it's been a complete transformation for the better.

But there are still a few nights here and there where he seems a little "off" to me. I'm not sure how to describe it...he just seems a bit too emotional, in general--whether it's a positive or negative emotion. One second he'll be gushing about how much he loves me, and saying the sweetest things, and how much he misses me and can't wait to see me again, and how he's going to take care of me for the rest of my life, I won't want for anything, etc.; then the next, he'll be talking about his frustrating day at work, and start complaining about it, cursing more than necessary. Or he'll start talking about something random, like a friend of his who wants to start a band, and he'll be needlessly jeering, scathing or sarcastic. It's such a mixed bag, and it's hard for me to tell sometimes if he's having a low or not, because he IS an emotional guy to begin with--very romantic with me, very passionate about his work, etc. But there are times when it just seems a little "too" intense...

Tonight, I'm positive he was having a low--at the end of the conversation, he started speaking total nonsense and slurring his words. But there have been other nights when it's been less clear...when I'm asking myself, "is this really him talking? Or is he not going to remember this conversation at all tomorrow?"

I was just curious if anyone here has or knows someone who has acted this way when they're experiencing hypoglycemic symptoms? Not raging or hysterical, but just very emotional? Even in a loving or romantic way?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 20th, 2013
Experienced User
mood swings is very common with people with reactive hypoglycemia. it shows that his blood sugar is dropping and he is experiencing a hypoglycemia symptoms. this shows his diet is not in check, make sure he is consuming none absolutely zero sugar in all forms to start with. if his diet is correct it will balance his blood sugar and this shouldnt happen. although this can happen to healthy people anywasy where the mood can change rapidly if he is under a lot of stress for example
|
Did you find this post helpful?