Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

Hypoglycemia & irregular periods

Hello, I'm new to here. I would love to know if anyone else has any feedback...

I was diagnosed with Reactive Hypoglycemia about 18months ago. I came off the pill near enough a year ago to get pregnant. I felt fantastic (almost normal) for the first month or so and then my symptoms of hypos got worse and worse like usual for me. I have had very irregular periods ever since coming off the pill. I used to always have regular ones before going on the pill and before my diagnosis. I can go through phases of feeling a lot better and then a lot worse. I have on off hormonal issues (breast swelling, sensitivity, cramping, spotting, abdo swelling etc etc) several times a month, none of it seems to correlate with my hypos. I swear hormones do effect my hypos just by how I feel better at certain times within each cyle. Certain Dr's don't believe hormones have anything to do with hypoglycemia - how can it not when hypoglycemia is when too much insulin is produced - insulin's a hormone! I have been put on Acarbose a rare diabetic pill. It helps a lot but still hasn't sorted my periods out. Getting on for a year later I'm still not pregnant and periods are here there and everywhere. Originally I had an internal ultrasound and they ruled out PCOS. Since my period issues they're now not ruling it out. I've had very in depth hormone blood tests and my Endochrinologist wrote to me saying they were normal and this doesn't explain my irregular periods. Could I still have PCOS? If not any other suggestions to ask doctors to look into? - from my experience they're not all clued up on hypoglycemia. We're off to fertility clinic tomorrow so hoping to get some answers. Anyone else had similar issues?

Ps I've also tried Agnus Castus which hasn't yet sorted things out and I started them 4 months ago
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2019
Thanks for your question.
Reactive hypoglycemia is a relatively uncommon meal-induced hypoglycemic disorder. Most patients with adrenergic-mediated symptoms have a diagnosis other than reactive hypoglycemia. In many patients with this self-diagnosis, other disorders can be attributed as a cause for symptoms, especially neuropsychiatric disease.So,think about this.You definitely need a regular cycle to get pregnant.That is the basic and stress and strain can hamper your cyclical rhythm.You are rightly towards the fertility clinic who can address this issue rightly.
I hope I was able to address your query. If you have any further problems, please do not hesitate to go to the doctor.
Wishing you all the best.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Fertility
Quick Reply
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.