Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia / depression episode?

Some Background:

I am a 33 yo 6' 225 lb. male with a history of depression and possibly some blood sugar issues... tested borderline high blood sugar about 8 years ago. For the past two years my sleep schedule has been extraordinarily irregular. I tend to go to bed later and later every night (anxiety?) and wake up later and later each day. As this cycle continues, as days and weeks pass, I eventually get to the point where I am falling asleep past sunrise. When I get to that point (very depressing) I begin forcing my myself to stay awake for extended hours toward the goal of "resetting" my sleep schedule to normal. During this forced "reset" period, I will remain awake longer each day, on average, until I am going to sleep around 7-8pm and waking up around 3am. By that point, for some strange reason, I tend to feel great with less sleep (which feels great, psychologically!). I get an early start to the day and go to the gym, work on "job seeking" projects (I have been self employed since age 23) and can get a lot of stuff done early in the morning which is beneficial to productivity and my overall outlook on life.

Since childhood, I have been sleeping 9-10 hours each night on average. I often feel the need to sleep up to 12 hours before I am ready to wake up. As long as I can remember, nearly EVERY MORNING of my entire life, I have dreaded getting up in the morning. I feel dead and struggle to get moving. I have always thought that sleeping on my stomach had something to do with it. It is a terrible feeling. I can sleep through anything. I remember my Dad pouring water on me and not getting out of bed. It's strange. Seems like poor circulation may have something to do with it... or not having enough sugar in my body after such a long sleep. It takes me at least an hour to wake up and I don't have much to look forward to in the day. I feel lethargic pretty much all day except after exercise... the only cure for my depression and tiredness. I have been unemployed for 3.5 years and my physical fitness has gone down hill. My psychiatrist put me on B-complex and NAC (amino acid) to help with depression. Antidepressants make me crazy.

Today:

Last night I ate some sandwiches and yogurt around midnight. I went to sleep around 2am. I woke up around 11am and felt better than I have in a few days... actually had a little energy and determined last night that I would try to have a good day. I ate two bowls of raisin bran with almond milk. I had several glasses of water. At noon, I went outside (~94 degrees F.) and did a P90x workout but did not work very hard as it was hot. I was outside for 45 minutes. I had not been outside in 2 days due to a bout of depression. My depression gets worse when I wake up later and later as the days/weeks go by (see background above). I needed the sun and exercise and felt better. At 1pm I went inside and rested for about 20 minutes and drank a little water. I then did a 15 minute P90X ab workout. After that, I rested a few minutes and decided to go back outside for a little more sun and do the intro of another P90X workout just for legs. I lasted 15 minutes and felt fine and went back inside. I was not that hungry, but I knew that I needed protein after all of that work and sweat. I was not that thirsty either since I hydrated well before and during the workouts.

At 3PM I had a can of Ranch Style beans with a large fresh halepeno sliced up and mixed with the beans. At 3:15 I made a fruit mix smoothie with grape juice (out of apple juice) and drank it on the way to Starbucks. From 3:30 - 7pm, I had three tall coffees with a total of 5 packets of Sugar in the Raw and half and half in each cup. I felt fine and packed a PBJ sandwich for later. I arrived at church at 6:30PM with my last cup of coffee and felt fine during the service... maybe a little hungry but not too bad.

At 8:30 when the service let out I started talking to a friend and started to feel faint... it got worse... I was losing my speech and vision... instinctively I said that I had to go and get some food in my car. I could barely walk but went out to get my PBJ sandwich and after eating a couple of bites, I could barely hold it down. I was afraid of passing out so I left my sandwich and went back inside the church and started drinking water and ate a small piece of chocolate. I was a little thirsty but not severely. I was barely conscious. I had difficulty keeping my eyes open... they were blinking... I had tremors... I could not breathe well.... I was sweating profusely... I was talking like a drunk.... very scared.... I was annoyed at all of the people around me talking to me like everything was fine. I was certain that I was going to go into a coma or something. I could not stomach much food... tried to eat a few grapes but had difficulty eating and was not really that hungry.

Everyone at church thought that I was dehydrated because I had been outside earlier in the heat and had so much coffee and not any water since around 3PM. I ate a few more grapes and some cheese and half of a nutrigrain bar. I drank several bottles of water and began to fill very full and bloated. Gradually, I began to feel better, but barely. I felt that it was safe to drive home at 10:30pm, but I was still slightly nauseous and dizzy. I made the short drive home safely but I admit is was risky and a little dumb. I took my time, drinking water and eating 3 pieces of whole wheat bread and some fruit/nut mix. Right now it is 1AM and I feel better but there is still something wrong. I did feel better after eating the bread and nut/fruit mix. I have been urinating a lot from all of the water. I keep drinking water because I thought it might be dehydration but checked the internet and sweating profusely does not appear to be a symptom of dehydration.

I am quite worried and a little concerned about going to sleep. I think I will eat some more and keep drinking water to be safe. How did this happen so suddenly tonight? Why did the onset of symptoms not progress gradually? My speech was embarrassing... talking like I was drunk and mixing up words. My brain is still not right... I am still a little confused but not nearly as bad as earlier. I honestly don't know if it was the water or food that alleviated my symptoms but I suspect it was the food. I am 100% certain that the 3 cups of coffee were a major contributor. I had not had any coffee in 3 days. The exercise and sun may have played a role... maybe I was a little dehydrated too. Strange. Need help and am basically homeless living with parents but we don't talk because my stepdad is not nice. I need to get my life together get a job and move on. Thanks for reading. God bless you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 8th, 2012
Hypoglycemia /Depression
Hi Steve, I hope you read this. I'm 37 and last year had a horible bout of depression and panic attacks. I can tell you that I believe your episode at church was caused by low blood sugar. Caffeine unfortunately is VERY bad for this. I had a similar episode that was caused by consuming a highly caffeinated energy drink. Look for Stan's diet on the forum and try this. You have nothing to lose. You may get your life back. Wishing you the best.
|

replied July 8th, 2012
Thank you MissAnn! I just read the diet... I am a sugar addict and I don't know if I can give it up. It cheers me up when I am down... sometimes it makes me pass out, but other times my body reacts just fine. Any advice?
|

replied July 9th, 2012
I understand completely what you mean about the sugar. I LOVE IT! However, after hitting rock bottom I realized that I had to choose. Do I love sugar and caffeine or do I want to have a happy, productive life. I have been struggling with this for years and for years I knew what to do about it, but I am stubborn by nature and constantly told myself that a few cups of coffee in the morning, a couple of cookies here and there and missing a few meals here and there didnt really affect me. WRONG! If I had taken this seriously a few years ago, when I was your age, I would probably feel great right now and have accomplished some of the goals I have set for myself. As it is, I have wasted the last several years in a severe funk and barely existing. Going through the motions and not really enjoying anything. SO the most important thing for you will be to want to feel good bad enough to change your habits. As far as your diet, I think the main things are to eat frequently and stick to protein and complex carbohydrates at EVERY meal. Also, caffeine is bad bad BAD. I can also assure you that after two sugar free weeks, you will pretty much stop craving it, your tastebuds will change and fruit will suddenly taste beyond delicious. A good magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement is also very helpful.

If you want to change your life you have to start somewhere and you have nothing to lose by trying this. I wish that I hadnt lost the last few years feeling like crap. But know that I know better, I'm doing better. You can too.
|