Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia and adrenaline rushes

A few months ago when I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia, I was experiencing anxiety, shakiness (especially in the morning before I ate), migraines, heart palpitations, dizzy spells, constantly cold hands and feet (even in July), and restless sleep.
My grandmother (father's mother), father, sister, and nephew are all hypoglycemic, and my father, sister, and myself have experienced the worst of our symptoms in our 20s.
For me, I was also the skinniest I've ever been when my symptoms kicked in. I wasn't eating much at all due to being super busy, and I wasn't really realizing how poor and infrequently I was eating until I got on a scale one day.
By managing my diet quite strictly, I've been able to get my symptoms under a lot of control. I still have my off days and my shaky moments, but I'm able to function once again as a normal woman.
However, I've noticed that during this week especially, I've gotten a rush of adrenaline through my body after I eat. My diet is mainly concentrated to proteins (nuts, meats, beans), fresh veggies, and whole grains. It's not the nervous feeling I was getting when I didn't eat for extended periods, but it's an actual hyper feeling where I feel like I need to get up and run ten miles. I drink no caffeine or alcohol, I'm on no prescriptions, and I keep my sugars to a very minimal level.
Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like my body is very chemically out of whack. I just want it to all go away!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 18th, 2009
My blood sugar seems to stay low, perhaps from long term infection that I'm getting checked. But I find that working out and running seem to help me fall asleep easier,just be sure to take in more calories to make up for it. Also, I think small meals spread throughout the day helps.
|

User Profile
replied November 26th, 2009
Sometimes, when I'm bad about sugar I feel that way the entire day except right after eating a protein diet. I have also found that it happens if I don't eat enough. The constant adrenaline rush is awful.elevator music is right, exercise is good for using up the adrenaline. It is often, however, impossible to break into exercise, like at work. More that often I find I can't make myself do ANYTHING because I am so tense.
|