Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia and Abdominal Pain

Does anyone know if abdominal pain in your right side could be related to hypoglycemia? I had terrible abdominal pain in 2006 that kept me up at night - the pain would come and go for about 6 months. The pain went away after I saw a chiropractor for awhile, and now the pain is back. My symtoms of hypoglycemia have gotten worse at the same time that this pain has occurred. I'm wondering if the two things are related. I heard it could be an an inflamed pancreas?? Thanks!

Kristin
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2008
Community Volunteer
The pancreas is more towards the upper left (if you poke a bit below where the ribs end it should be tender sometimes, but not always), but lower abdonminal pain like that is common, I had that BAD for awhile, so yes, it's a common symptom. It has to deal with a number of things. One of the issues, which few people know, is that the digestive system is like a second brain, it has almost as many nerve endings as the brain, and it actually runs on serotonin as well. So, typically, on days when you feel mentall okay your stomach will feel awful because the serotonin is being shifted to the brain and then back down again when things start to get screwed up. Very annoying.
|

replied April 19th, 2008
stan
Wow... I didn't know that! In fact, I had no idea that the abdominal pain and hypoglycemia could be related - especially when it went away after the chiropractor made some adjustments but maybe that was a coincidence - or maybe it did help it a little, who knows. It wasn't until recently that I made a connection when the pain was back, and so were my symptoms - worse than ever. Thanks Stan!
|

replied April 19th, 2008
I am currently having some problems with that too. A delocalized brused/poking pain in the stomach/liver/kidney, etc belt above the waist, below the lungs. It does not seem to make sense since it would hurt sometimes in one spot, then later in another. This is especially significant when i do some exercise.

For example, i jog/walked 3 miles yesterday and after 1 mile i had a sharp bruised pain in my left kidney. after 2 miles my right kidney area felt the same too. I did only 15! situps the other day and something inside of my abs hurt for 3 days. it is quite frustrating. I guess these are part of the typical pains hypoglycemics may get?
|

replied April 20th, 2008
I have that too. I seem to have 2 different problems going on. I get pain in my sides - it used to be just the right side, but now it is the left too - and I get pain above the waist, below the lungs like you said. Mine also gets worse if I do some exercise. I'm not really excercising at all anymore though until I can get some of my problems under control. I'm having too much trouble with fatigue and being dizzy.

I can't even run a mile, so it sounds like you're doing better than me! I used to be very athletic, even just last year - but my symptoms seem to be out of control at this point. It sounds like you're right, these might be typical pains that hypoglycemics get. I'm going to ask my new doctor about it when I see him in 2 weeks.
|

replied April 25th, 2008
I took a bite of some eggplant/rice yesterday and got some really bad stomach pain, so much that i had cold sweat and was almost on the ground. I can't imagine thats something related to hypo? I've been having this pain in my stomach when i eat (not after) for a bit, and it was the most severe yesterday. My nails have been semi-purple recently too, but i could still jog a mile so i dont think i have anemia.

urine was fine, but blood had a tad high urea and albumin. white blood cells were a bit high too, suggesting an infection of sorts.

which is interesting, because before i developed these hypo symptoms i had some stomach virus symptoms for a few days (2 weeks prior).

im thinking, maybe i have a kidney issue hm.
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2008
Community Volunteer
If you had a kidney problem you wouldn't be able to sit still, they don't tie into digestion at all. One time I had stomach pains so bad after eating a carrot all I could do was roll on the ground and cry for about thirty minutes until it went away. It's likely connected, but I can't say I've heard about purple nails before.
|

replied April 25th, 2008
i've been having numbness very often too. for instance i have put on an empty shoulder-bag to buy groceries my fingers on the side where the strap is on will get numb. the bag isn't even heavy. are circulation problems associated with hypo too?
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2008
Community Volunteer
They can be, but that sounds like a natural reaction to me. I can definitely say I used to pay more attention to it when I was really sick and would think it was a problem, so I would not worry about it unless the numbness is persistent long after the bag is out of your hand.
|

replied April 25th, 2008
they found high white blood cell count yesterday too in the bloodwork, which is interesting. i wonder what a possible infection has to do with everything. sigh. at least i am not feeling brain fogged and nervous these days.
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2008
Community Volunteer
To add a bit more, that was one of the first things they found wrong with me, increased wbc count. It means your body is just going through hell, trust me, it's the sugar.
|

replied May 14th, 2008
Wow! I think I am going through this too. A couple of weeks ago I was up all night for two nights straight with severe stomach pain in the upper/center abdomen. For a few days after that, I would have lots of pain when I changed positions or if I walked too fast. Then the pain lessened a lot and moved down to the lower right abdominal area. My doctor was worried about appendicitis because that usually starts in the upper middle and moves to the lower right, but she said there is no way I'd be getting better if it was appendicitis, I'd be pretty sick by now.

Come to think of it, I have had lots of unexplained and severe stomach pains that have left many doctors baffled since I was a kid. I'll have it chronically for a while, then it will go away for months or even years. I bet it's because of my hypoglycemia! Glad I saw this!
|

replied February 21st, 2014
My daughter suffers from chronic hypoglycemia and is on a strict diet to manage but suffers from pains like is described in these threads but where dpi go for help. No Drs are interested in her? Some naturpaths are helpful but there just doesMr seem robe an answer. Handsomeone help? Cheers Greenleaves
|

replied February 21st, 2014
My daughter suffers from chronic hypoglycemia and is on a strict diet to manage but suffers from pains like is described in these threads but where dpi go for help. No Drs are interested in her? Some naturpaths are helpful but there just doesMr seem robe an answer. Handsomeone help? Cheers Greenleaves
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...