Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

hypochondria, OCD, anxiety, panic, and social anxiety!

I suffer from severe hypochondria, OCD, anxiety, panic, and social anxiety. My life is a living hell. Every single day, when I wake up, if and when something starts to hurt, I'm on the computer, all day long, trying to figure out what could be wrong with me. I'm so knowledgeable on health, and disease, that I swear I could be a doctor.

My latest worry, is lymphoma, because I swear my right lymph node in my jaw is swollen, and that HAS to be what it is - right?

I know that I sound completely crazy, and even I will laugh at myself sometimes, but the fear is so REAL, to the point that I really feel like some days may be my last day to be alive.

I quit smoking 6 weeks ago, and since then, my anxiety/fear has gone through the roof.

Today, my hernia (I think that's what it is) is making my chest hurt, and that HAS to mean that it's strangulated... right? So, I don't have very long to get to the ER. Sadly, I'm afraid to go. What is even MORE inconvenient, is that the sane part of me is telling myself that I'm being ridiculous, and if I go to the ER, I'll regret it and be embarrassed.

I just wish this would all go away.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper EthanFoster
|

replied March 21st, 2011
A person with hypochondria will think such normal bodily functions as heart beats, sweating and bowel movements are symptoms of a serious illness or condition. A person with hypochondria may also use vague phrases - he may say he has tired veins or a sore liver. Hypochondria causes people to become preoccupied with the belief that they are suffering from one or more physical diseases. This belief causes great psychological suffering on the part of the hypochondriac. Anxiety and depression often result. However, most cases of this disorder respond to treatment. Hypochondria is also known as hypochondriasis or health anxiety, and may be related to somatization disorder.
|

replied March 21st, 2011
Thank you, Ethan. I really want to get treatment, I really do. Unfortunately, even though our insurance is awesome... I don't have $100+ per appointment with a therapist. Any idea on what else I could do?
|
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....