Greetings,

First off, I have never been diagnosed with anything, so I am not sure if I have hypoglycemia or anything. All I know is that something is terribly wrong and I am searching everywhere for answers.

My name is Charles and I am 33. I have a long history but I will be brief for right now. Here are the bottom lines...

Everything I see looks fake and flat. I feel like I am in a dream world where nothing is real.

I have a terrible tormenting fear that is with me constantly. At certain times, it peaks into something so sever it is hard to describe. There are no identifiable situations or objects that cause the fear, it just simply exists.

My skin is crawling and buzzing. Sometimes it is so bad it seems like I cannot feel anything through the buzzing, crawling, and tingling.

I get bad dizzy spells.

My vision is so blurred it is hard to see.

My memory is shaky.

There seems to some connection with eating, but not sure exactly what.

I read about this hypo diet and started to try it. At first I seemed a little better. But then...BOOM. I ate some hard boiled eggs and watermelon one morning and all my symptoms have returned full strength. I have gone back to just turkey and apples for 2 days and am doing terrible.

I am getting very scared. I feel like I am always about ready to pass out or something.

Am I even in the right area here? Am I totally off base looking into hypo as a cause?

Please help, I feel I am losing my mind and I am not sure how much more I can handle.

Thank you,
-Charles
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 28th, 2008
Experienced User
Sounds like anxiety to me. I thought my symptoms were hypoglycemic related for a long time. I was dizzy too for a long time. It is gone now. A great website called panicend.com and book by Dr, Claire Weekes finally brought me back to normal. Of course, I changed my diet drastically as well. You will not faint, your heart is strong - don't get caught letting those feelings scare you.
|

replied May 28th, 2008
foxforce5 wrote:
Sounds like anxiety to me. I thought my symptoms were hypoglycemic related for a long time. I was dizzy too for a long time. It is gone now. A great website called panicend.com and book by Dr, Claire Weekes finally brought me back to normal. Of course, I changed my diet drastically as well. You will not faint, your heart is strong - don't get caught letting those feelings scare you.

Well, I think there is obvious anxiety and stress on the system of course, but I think something is triggering it. My searches led me to hypo because many things are similar, such as in about 2 years I gained 150 lbs. There are times when all my symptoms are heavy and they get a little better after eating.

You see, I had this exact problem a few years ago. I was heavy, and all these horrible symptoms came upon me. I was convinced that the digestion process was causing it because just before it all kicked in, I had bad stomach pain and cramping and all kinds of stomach related problems and discomfort. Then it all hit me full force. I was afraid to eat. Every time I ate, ther were more problems. So I basically began to starve. I lost 100 lbs in about 4 months. Slowly, the symptoms lightened up and I was feeling better. Not great but better.

So I started to introduce food back into my life again. My body took it and all was well. Then I started to drink alcohol again. My body took that as well. All was going great. Then, my weight shot up to 335 lbs. I would be so tired all the time. I fell asleep driving home from work and got in an accident. I started to feel crappy again, but not like before. I would drink more and more, eat more and more junk food too.

Then it all hit me suddenly again, the same old symptoms. Trouble concentrating, anxiety, blurry vision, crawling skin, an overall down and doomed feeling, etc...etc...

I started having a panic attack with all these symptoms and I thought that a glass of wine might help, but I was afraid it might make it worse. So I did a google search for "wine and panick attacks" and it led me to a story about a lady who seems to have much in common with me. Later she found out that it was hypo the whole time. So I started to look into it and I ended up here.

I do not particularly want to have hypo, but I am desperate to have some kind of word to associated with what is wrong with me. I have never found anything to explain my problems until now. So in a way I hope it is hypo, then at least I will know what is wrong and what to do. If it is not hypo, I fell like I will be at square one and without hope again. Can you see what I mean?

But of course, the truth is the truth, whatever it may be. I have not written everything, but I seem to have a lot in common with hypo. I admitt there may be more going on here, but somewhere deep inside I think there is a possibility that hypo may be what sets off the rest of the anxiety or panic problems.

Is there anyone out there who could comment on this please? I really want to hear from anyone willing to express any thoughts on my situation.

Thank you,
-Charles
|

replied May 28th, 2008
Experienced User
Charles,

Me again -

Have you had any medical tests done yet? You can get a GTT & a screening for diabetes. Are you taking any supplements? Omega 3 ( great for depression/anxiety) & Vit D & C are very important and most people are usually deficient.

I am sure that your poor diet is greatly related to your symptoms. You really should try making some changes (slowly) first to see if that helps with your situation. Stan would tell you to do this first too.

No more junk food or processed food of any kind.
Get off the alcohol, caffeine, soda and juice. I only drink water or natural teas now for a year, it can be done.

After you get used to eating fresh and low carb then I would try completely cutting out all gluten and all dairy (except butter) as a test to see if your symptoms improve further. You need plenty of good fats ( ex. olive oil & butter) to compensate for the loss of carbs. These good fats will not make you gain excess weight either.

This will take time and you need to go slowly. I went cold turkey on everything and I paid the price but now I am feeling great!

I follow a very strict candida diet. Only recently, I started introducing breads & dairy back in. Note - cravings for alcohol and carbs are classic symptoms of candida.

Hope this helps! I wish you the best!
|

replied May 28th, 2008
Thank you for your response. I have not had any tests done yet, but I have a slip to get the GTT but my doctor will only give the 3 hour one. I have read that the 3 hour one will not be acurate. But I suppose I can go in any time to have the 3 hour done, but will it do me any good?

I am currently taling no suppliments at all. I have quit all alcohol and junk food cold turkey since the last major onset of symptoms which was May 5th this year (2008).

Right now I am eating Roasted turkey breast that I buy allready cooked from the grocery store, roasted chicken cooked from same store, and apples.

Last week I was eating ground turkey patties with tomatoe and onions with mustard, watermelon, grapes, strawberries... But I had another major attack so I stopped eating that. I am afraid that was what caused this last onslaught of torment. I may be wrong, but when I am this bad I am reluctant to take any chances.

So this is day 3 of just plain roasted chicken and turkey with red deliscious apples.

Should I try something else? A suppliment perhaps? Would you suggest I go through with the 3 hour GTT?

Should I buy a blood sugar checker from the pharmacy and take readings?

Please understand I am pretty clueless and am trying to learn as I go. Any help is so very much appreciated.

Thank you,
-Charles
|

replied May 29th, 2008
Experienced User
I think Stan's thoughts on the 3 hour GTT are that a 5 hour really is better. That is what I read too. I was to sick to put myself through a GTT so I never had one. Discuss with your doctor your concerns and ask him if he will give you a 5 hour.

I did buy a glucose meter - that was a waste of money for me. If you really have hypoglycemia then you will would probably know just by how you feel when you are getting low.

There is a lot to learn so just concentrate on reading some previous posts and doing more research on this. Keep up on diet and congrats for cutting out alcohol and junk food.
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Sorry for the late reply, but yes, sounds like you do have something going on there. Don't settle on anxiety and such until you've ruled out physical problems, because you want to clear that up before going that route. The best thing to do is try my diet. Don't expect to get better at first, expect to get worse. You should notice a change in about four weeks or so, but it might not be much, you'll just notice a change coming on. The 'dream world' stuff you mention is something I used to deal with all the time.
|

replied June 2nd, 2008
Stan wrote:
Sorry for the late reply, but yes, sounds like you do have something going on there. Don't settle on anxiety and such until you've ruled out physical problems, because you want to clear that up before going that route. The best thing to do is try my diet. Don't expect to get better at first, expect to get worse. You should notice a change in about four weeks or so, but it might not be much, you'll just notice a change coming on. The 'dream world' stuff you mention is something I used to deal with all the time.

Thank you for responding Stan.

I have improved ever so slightly. The severe tormenting fear has subsided a measurable deal which is very good. There are up's and downs, but I see an overall general gradual improvement in that area.

If I do not eat for a while, I feel an increase in skin crawling and other sensations like that, along with more blurred vision, and even a shaky feeling. I also have been getting head aches which I never used to get. After I eat I feel a little better, but I can sense such a very delicate balance right now.

From past experiance, I know I must have derealization problems with anxiety, but it usually stays bearable untill some situation arises that stresses the system. I feel like it might be a hypo condition that is applying the stress and just making everything worse. Does this sound like a possibilty?

Thank you very much,
-Charles
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Yes, very much so, and if you've noticed a change this quickly, it's highly likely. I had depersonalization, derealization, extreme obsessions, you name it, at one point. I had doctors telling me it was anxiety, but after eating right and with a lot of hard work (which I've put together in my diet plan so you guys don't have to torture yourself like I did), ALL of my symptoms disappeared. I don't get anxious anymore, I don't get depressed, I don't get derealization, nothing. It all went away. It has nothing to do with anxiety and everything to do with your body's chemical balance. One thing I highly recommend though, that's made me even better (didn't even know I could feel better, but hey). Look for a bread called Ezekiel or even Ezekiel pasta and fajita wraps. Try it. It seems that there is something to the belief that sprouted grains are more digestible and better for you. I was unable to eat bread for the past three years, but now can eat this stuff like nothing (one piece of bread and one wrap or serving of pasta per day). You still need to moderate it, but if you're worried about carbs, I recommend trying it. If you do, give it at least a week or two to see if it causes any negative effects. Now, it may be that I was just ready for it, but it may work for you too. Keep contacting me on this forum or through here and let me know of your progress. Glad to hear you're better.
|

replied June 8th, 2008
Experienced User
Stan - I have been eating this type bread for some time now. Sprouting grains, however, is essential.
|