Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Hypnosis for bipolar issues

Would you volunteer for hypnosis to aid with Bipolar issues?
Yes
NO
100%  100%  [ 4 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4
If hypnosis work to stop smoking, stop eating so much, and make you think your a chicken then why not try it for bipolar people?

I really honestly want to try it!!! I think the only side effect from this would be clucking, but only if the doctor that does it has a bad sense of humor. Laughing

What do you all think????
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mysticmeg
|

replied April 29th, 2009
Re: Hypnosis for bipolar people
I think I'd try anything to rid myself of bipolarity!

However I think it would depend on the route issue. I believe mine to be part biological and part environmental (home situation) so perhaps it would help reduce it.
If working with a psychiatrist and trying different drugs didn't help, I'd deffinately give it a go. What would you have to loose? Just make sure you go with someone you trust so they don't make you affraid of the colour yellow or something!!
|

replied December 4th, 2009
bipolar and hypnosis
I am a hypnotherapist and I definately think that hypnosis would help people experiencing bipolar, hypnosis does not advocate to cure conditions but it can provide solutions to many health relate problems, particularly of the mental health nature.
|

replied December 30th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
There's no evidence that hypnosis can have any effect on mental disorders. Most addiction medicine employ Hypnosys therapy as a bandaid to control addiciton while the mind builds a pattern of positive behavior. Bipolar Disorder is a chemical imballance in the brain. Changing behavior patterns won't correct that. It is the equivelent of going to a hypnotherapist to treat your broken arm. They could certainly convince you that you're well until you have a chance to heal but without medical treatment you won't get better. It can actually do more harm that good as Bipolar sufferrers tend to discontinue medication when they're feeling better.

If you want to go to a hypnotherapist for a severe mental disorder then do as you like but I strongly encounrage you to continue normal treatment through the process.
|

replied May 17th, 2011
This post makes no sense. There is no such clear demarcation between mind and brain. Placebo has an effect on the body. "Believing" you have taken BP medicines can actually lower your BP as can hypnosis. And about the broken arm.. there are actually studies showing better and quicker recovery after injury or surgery using hypnosis/suggestion.

That is not claiming it can cure bipolar, I don't know that though probably can help with symptoms. And it is also not necessarily a choice of either this or that, I know many psychiatrist using it among other tools in the practice.
|

replied January 2nd, 2010
Good post. Nice information has been given. Thanks for providing such useful information. Hypnosis is general for all type of health and mental issues.
|

replied January 11th, 2010
I agree with WOLF. Hypnosis is for all type of mental and health issues. It wont give much side effects. I too like to take hypnosis treatment for bipolar problem. Let me confirm after taking a treatment.
|

replied May 17th, 2011
Experienced User
From what I have read, anything that has a calming effect COULD help. That does not mean that it will, but there seems to be some strong evidence that relieving stress reduces the probability of the onset of episodes.

Is there something special about hypnotherapy? Probably not, but if you find it calming and stress relieving, it might be a good idea. Then again, for many people, taking a bath or walking on the beach might be of equal or greater benefit.
|

replied December 28th, 2012
I would definately try hypnosis for my bipolar! Without a doubt. I was misdiagnosed in the past and the meds I was on made me wig out. I havent been on meds since (10 yrs) and I dont see a therapist. Just today Ive been researching different therapists in my area because everything has become a trigger lately and I feel more out of control in my depressive stages that I know I need help. One of the therapists Im looking into uses hypnosis in some sessions. Im ready for a new begining!
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...