I found out I have hyperthyroidism recently, and my symtoms are pretty bad. I am seeing an Endocrinologist next week, but I want to know now how effective the medication is. I noticed something was wrong when I started having 3-5 bowel movements a day and they are VERY urgent. I have had WAY TO MANY CLOSE CALLS! It is extreemly embarrassing and I have anxiety about it every time I leave the house. This is the one symtom I REALLY want to go away. Is this common with hyperthyroidism? And PLEASE, tell me it will get better?!!??Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 27th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I don't know how effective the medication is, but I know you'll probably have to keep taking it unless you have part of your thyroid removed either through radioactive iodine treatment or surgery. Yes, frequent and loose bowel movements are common with hyperthyroidism and should resolve with treatment.

I would suggest doing some research into the topic, especially considering radioactive iodine treatment (which is not as bad as it sounds) or surgery. You'll want to be fully informed on your condition and have questions ready for the doctor. This is important, so make sure your doctor explains everything to your satisfaction.

Good luck.
|

replied November 10th, 2012
I am 19, please do not be fooled by my age, I promise I can be knowledgable, and I was diagnosed two weeks ago. I am having awful symptoms already as well, I've been having diarrhea since Monday starting at three times per day which has increased to 7-10. Don't be alarmed that yours could become this frequent, due to my other symptoms I am guess I've had hyperthyroidism for months and it has gone unnoticed or it is just very severe. I just wanted to let you know that there are alternatives to radioactive iodine treatments. I have been squandering my resources because I am a breastfeeding mother and have been told by my gp that I will ned to stop most likely due to the medication I will have to be prescribed. I would love to tell you what your options are but I haven't found them yet myself, I hear about this through word of mouth by someone who was diagnosed with hypo an was researching the entire subject hahhaa, as most of us seem to do. I would really reccomend this because although the "benefits outweigh the risks" I don't like to be blindly led into surgery or radioactivity Wink and this will most likely happen to me as well. You do need treatment however, if the only unpleasant symptom you have right now is loose stools, beware, I have a resting pulse of 112 right now (don't forget my age), body aches, cold sweats, weakness, severe exhaustion, I have not been able to hold my son or stand for more than 5 minutes a day in the past week without getting dizzy. Personally I am cold 100% of the time but info have hot flashes at night with cold sweats, and the topper bloodshot swollen puffy painful eyes that don't respond to visine. Hopefully not a symptoms of graves. Anyway I hope this helps,
|

replied November 10th, 2012
And also, the medication is Very effective, it's just about finding the right dosage. If your endocrinologist goes overboard you will become hypo and will gain weight etc etc but they under dose you then your symptoms wot improve, don't worry though it takes a few trial and error periods to figure out the exact proper dosage
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Anxiety and hyperthyroidism share similar features. I would suggest you TSH to sort it out.
Medications are helpful but need protracted course.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.