Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

hyperthyroidism and heart palpatations

i've had heart palpatations since i was 13, they feel like a skipped beat or a flutter.. but recently in the past 3 weeks my heart has been racing and i was getting lightheaded all the time, so i went to the ER and my bloodwork came back abnormal for my thyroid, so they diagnosed me with hyperthyroidism..i'm taking methimazole 3 times a day and to stop the racing heartbeat and anxiety i'm taking propranolol 10mg 4 times a day or as needed. it seems like it doesnt make my heart beat slower, because i take my heartbeat and its always doing like 80- 90 beats per min, and the heart palpatations havent subsided either.. it seems like they get worse.. is that bad?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 15th, 2010
A normal heart rate has a range of 60-100 bpm so, the 80-90 you are having is actually normal. Some people just have higher hr's than others.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...