What would be the reason for differing blood pressure in arms? 120/60 in left, 140/65 in right.

Ive already have 2 Echocardiograms to rule out Coarction of the Aorta, as well as two EKG's. Also had 1 CT scan to check for kidney problems, Bun/Creatine ration is fine. Was diagnosed with hypertension at 22 years old "Now 23" and have been taking Benicar HCTZ and average bp is 132/75

Although I am still worried about this difference between my two arms? My right-arm is usually higher, although sometimes the pressures are very much the same? In other words the difference isn't consistent, but I notice it and it frightens me.

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2011
It is quite common to have the blood pressure be somewhat different in the two arms. Usually the blood pressure is higher in the right arm, and that is due to the way the arteries come off of the aorta. A modest different in blood pressure between the two arms is not a cause for concern. It would appear that your blood pressure is under reasonable control with medication. It's also a good idea to limit salt intake.
Please understand that I am unable to diagnose medical conditions online.

An easy-to-read book about the heart for lay persons. Available at major online book retailers and other fine bookstores.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Albert Miller for this post: dantescritic 
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.