User Profile
I am 30 years old, female, moderately overweight at 160 pounds. Since age 19 I've been under treatment for a hypertensive disorder and a linked anxiety disorder. BP soars to life-threatening levels when in pain or under extreme stress, regardless of medication. Phenochromocytoma and renal stenosis have already been ruled out as well as coarctation of the aorta. Hypertension has been reclassified as essential and treatment continues. Medication only reduces to 140/90 with periodic adjustments required to keep it even that low. Hypertension has been unaffected by lifestyle changes: I reduced salt intake, quit smoking years ago, changed my diet, and have lost 20 pounds in the past year. I have been hospitalized once and in the office countless times; I've been seen by a nephrologist, vascular surgeon and endocrinologist. Husband and I want to have a baby; doctors say go ahead, hypertension is essential and managed by medication. I want to be sure before I get pregnant. Any advice?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2009
High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Answer A7695
You want to know whether you can have a baby although you have been diagnosed with essential hypertension.

Hypertension is a medical term for high blood pressure. High blood pressure is termed "essential" when there is no particular reason for its appearance.

According to the symptoms you describe, hypertension is controllable. Although the blood pressure is variable during the day, you might consider having a baby. While being pregnant you may follow the lifestyle changes that you had already made. You might also consider seeing a doctor more often during the pregnancy to check on hypertension.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to provide you with medical information here. I am not able to give you medical advice online. Please contact your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider such as cardiologist and gynecologist for regular exams before and during pregnancy as well as to learn more about treatment options.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
High blood pressure is often called the "silent killer" and can cause a number of medical problems. But what is hypertension? And what types do doctors define?...
Hypertension can be caused by a number of underlying medical conditions. Which ones? Are you at risk of developing high blood pressure?...
High blood pressure often manifests no symptoms, but can seriously damage the body. So how can you tell if you're experiencing hypertension, or not? More here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.