Hello, sorry about the lengthy post but i need help and this appears to be a tricky case. I am a 38 y. o. woman with a healthy lifestyle ( well balanced whole foods diet + daily exercise). My appendix was removed when I was 8 y. o. and my gallbladder was removed when I was 21 y. o. due to the presence of stones. I am otherwise very healthy and lean, i do not take any medication and when I was checked for food allergies it was determined that my only allergy was seafood which of course I avoid.
But about 1 year ago I started noticing that I was reacting violently to foods that are high in Tyramine, like salami, cheese, sauerkraut, marzipan, avocado etc... I have had about 12 attacks in 2 years and the symptoms during the attacks are always the same : about 10 mn after ingesting the culprit food my heart starts racing ( 130 to 150 bpm for 3 to 10 mn) , my blood pressure goes up, I feel very dizzy and nauseous and my whole body starts shaking for about 30 mn, which is usually followed by a light headache.
None of the 7 doctors ( including a neurologist) I've seen so far have ever met someone with this problem, and they couldn't tell me why i started being so sensitive. Usually people reacting to Tyramine are migraine sufferers, which I am not, or are taking antidepressants, which I am not either.
My blood tests results are good except for the bilirubin (a little high) and a bit of adrenal fatigue. So after doing much research I put myself on a low Tyramine diet, which helped me put some weight back on and feel less terrified of eating but doesn’t solve anything.
I haven't had another attack in a month so it confirms the Tyramine theory. The question is why am I all of a sudden so sensitive to Tyramine and why do I have these strange scary symptoms ? Is this a temporary condition ? Please let me know if your symptoms are similar in any way, or if you have ever heard of this type of food sensitivity. Thank you for your time.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 26th, 2009
hypersensitivity to tyramine??
Hi i'm a 17 years old woman, and a few days ago i had a hard time breathing, headache and confusion. I thought maybe it was an allergie but then everything a looked at didn't make sens cause i ate other products that contained tha allergen...i soon stumbled across hypersensitivity to tyramine which matches all my symptomes but, i had intakes of food wich contained tyramine before...but now the more and more i go on and eat foods with tyramine i experienced some headaches and a fast heartbeat...
Not sure if its temporary, and its the frst time i hear about ths food sensitivity...thank you for yourpost
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....