Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Hyalgan for knee arthritis instead of Synvisc

An orthopedist I saw for knee pain wants to inject my knee with Synvisc, but a relative of mine had that done and did not get any relief, plus she said the injections were very painful. Now I see a pain relief practice nearby is advertising Hyalgan for knee arthritis and saying it is completely natural and is safer and gives better pain relief than Synvisc. Has anyone tried it?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper guest74851
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
MillieLou,

They are the same thing.

Hyalgan and Synvisc are brand names for the generic medicine Hyaluronate.

It is true that some patients will have some temporary burning pain with injections of hyaluronate. It usually goes away in a short amount of time.

And, it is also true, that not all patients get significant relief from the injections.

It is designed to be given to patients who essentially have bone on bone osteoarthritis and minimal joint fluid in the joint. The hyaluronate is designed to help replace the joint fluid in the joint, so that the bones have better gliding over each other.

Patients who still have significant articular cartilage and synovial fluid in their joints, will usually not have much relief from this medicine. Again, it is designed for the patients with significantly advanced osteoarthritis, who basically have bone on bone disease.

So, if the advertisements are saying that Hyalgan is better than Synvisc, it is probably just advertising hype. Just like Bayer says their aspirin is better than Excedrin’s.

You need to discuss the injections with your pain management physician.

Good luck.
|
Users who thank Gaelic for this post: guest74851 

replied October 12th, 2012
Recently I was told synvisc has purchased Hyalgan. That they are not the same product.
Also was told Synvisc is better for bursa knee pain,and hyalgan bettter for bone on bone type of issues. I've had both . I had longer and better relief with hyalgan almost a year..I just had a series of Synvisc after 3 or 4 weeks I'm miserable. My osteoarthritis has not changed much over the last few years. My vote is w/out a question Hyalgan. I believe it is the best. Especially for meHyalgan is also supposed to be more natural with less side affects and preferred by many of the DRs in my area. I've heard its become a political issue in the medical field insuarance companies have bargained with the synvisc company for a better deal. I know my insurance co will only pay for synvisc now.
What works for me to reduce the painful injection is...I ly down on the table w/bended knee over the edge ...first a topical very cold spray is used 2nd an injection to numb the inside of the knee 3rd the synvisc. For me I wouldn't be able to do them any other way ...they are just to painful. Don't take my word for any of this ...plz do your own research , and trust your instincts . My intention is only to pass on info..I've been given by those I trust & maybe some food for thought
|

replied November 26th, 2012
I hate when the doctor doesn't wait after the first injection, to allow the "Caine" to work. No dentist would start work 60 seconds after injecting a patient, and it's about the same stuff. Recommended minimum work time on that is 3 to 5 minutes, and even THAT'S pretty fast. The doc I had giving me SynVisc injections never gave the anesthesia injection more than 30 seconds, and when I asked him to wait the recommended time, he waited about 45 seconds, then pretty much said, "F-It," and went ahead and did it anyway. The pain is quite bad when the doc does it this way. I'm tough, but it was bad. I switched doctors, and will find out next week if they're ALL that way.
|
Users who thank creaky for this post: guest74851 

replied February 19th, 2013
Thank you to those who replied to my question. I did get a cortisone shot right after posting, and it was so painful, I almost passed out. The relief was ok, but I decided against any more injections. I lost 10 lbs., which helped immensely with the pain in my knees. I'm not overweight now, but I'd like to lose a little more because it helped so much. I rest my knees when they hurt, I take Advil occasionally (maybe once or twice a week) and I do tai chi for exercise. So far, so good.
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2013
Community Volunteer
Hi MillieLou....Losing the weight is the best remedy...Don't get too many of the cortisone shots...In the end I think they hurt me more than they helped me...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied June 6th, 2014
Hyalgan vs. Synvisc One
I've tried both. The Synvisc One was ONE injection. The Hyalgan was five shots over five weeks. Without hesitation, the five Hyalgan shots work MUCH better than the single Synvisc.
I have moderate to severe OA. I am an active 59yo male tennis player and the OA has significantly lowered my ability to run and balance in bent knee position. The good news is I can play with only mild discomfort and ice my knees when I get home for fast relief.
GO HYALGAN and yes there is some discomfort with getting needled five times but well worth the 6-8 months I get from it.
|
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....