Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

Husband transmitted genital HSV-1 after 10 years

Hello,

Just tested positive for HSV-1 by culture testing, but negative in blood. A little history....I had been sexually active with my husband for 10 years, which included oral sex. We recently seperated for about 1 year and just two weeks ago rekindled the relationship and begin sexual activity again, including oral. 6 Days after our first start of intercourse and oral sex, I started to have the symptoms of genital herpes. I immediatly went to gyno who did a blood test and culture test with my active sores in vulva. My results were positive on culture for HSV-1 and negative for both HSV-1 and 2 in blood. Ironically after I told my husband of my symptoms, he mentioned he had a cold sore on his mouth just a few days after we started having sex again. My doctor confirmed that I had just recently contracted the herpes virus, because it was not in my blood yet. So, my question is this...How is it possible that I never contracted herpes from my husband with 10 years of sexual activity, and then we start again and I contract it? Note: My husband hasn't been tested for Herpes yet, but he says he has had cold sores all of this life, since childhood. Is it possible that we could go 10 years without him transmitting the virus to me and then the one time he performs oral with a cold sore I get genital herpes? I guess I would suspect that he would have already transmitted it with his shedding of the virus through the years, even if he never had a cold sore while performing oral? So confused..please shed some light
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 5th, 2010
Herpes of the mouth (ie cold sores) is a simplex virus and is different to gential herpes. He has contracted herpes from having unprotected sex with someone who had gentital herpes and now passed it on to you.
|

replied August 12th, 2010
I was with my boyfriend for 2 years when out of nowhere I started getting genital sores. I tested positive for type 1 herpes. I assumed my boyfriend must have cheated on me because it didnt make sense to me that I wouldnt have gotten it sooner but the doctor said it can be like throwing darts at a dartboard blindfolded - you could hit the bullseye the first time or after 100 times. When you contract it could depend on circumstances like your immune system could be down or something.
When my boyfriend got tested the results were all negetive, and he's never ever gotten coldsores or any genital sores or anything, the doc said he must just have the virus in his system.
Hope this might be in some way useful to you.
|

replied September 10th, 2010
Hi been with my partner for years and he's just developed genital warts. No one can give me definite answer as to how this can happen after all this time - looks like its one of those unknowns that come down to trust - not sure how i stand on that either now.
|

replied September 19th, 2010
I heard from a friend that Hsv-zero is a good antiviral herpes treatment. Maybe it's good for you
|

replied September 30th, 2010
the virus that causes cold sores is close to the virus that caused genital herpes- So close in fact that when a cold sore is present or in the few days before a cold sore erupts - oral to genital transmission is possible and it does happen despite what the first poster claims. The virus responsible is HSV type 1 and 2.
|
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....