Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Husband's OCD, I can't even sit in my living room.

My husband has had an issues with obsessing (kind of like OCD) since I have known him, 14 years. He has always been overly obsessive about our COUCH(S). We can't sit on it, can't use it, etc. We have been through 4 different living places & 4 different couches & this last time is the WORST! We bought a home 2 1/2 years ago, kind of old & not really what we wanted but what we could afford. My husband put in all new carpet (had too, the house had the original carpet over 20 years old & the house sat abandoned for 3 years). He obsesses over the carpet constantly, always rubbing his foot in certain areas saying it feels worn & he has all of these rules so we don't 'ruin' the carpet. I can overlook this most of the time. What I CANNOT overlook any longer is the fact that we can't sit on our brand new couch or easy chair AT ALL. Mind you, these were bought new when we bought our house, so they are both nearly 3 years old, but he has sat on the couch ONCE & his chair maybe twice. We always end up sitting in the back master bedroom that has a small love seat & a tv. We NEVER sit in the living room. I have talked to him until I am blue in the face, trying to get him over this mental obsession. Nothing works! He thinks somehow we are going to RUIN the couch & he can't afford a new one. We BOTH work, we have no kids or pets, NO ONE comes over...what does it matter? We have had so many terrible argument over this & I am truly becoming angry & depressed over this. I can't even sit in my living room. I can't stand living here because of it & he shows no signs of moving or changing his habits. He has been this way before & after a few months to nearly a year we would finally sit on the couch (previous ones) but not this time! Nearly THREE YEARS & he won't budge. He wouldn't even wait for me to get my income tax return so that we could go half on this couch so that I could sit on it since I paid half. I am at my wit's end! Please help me. I am so tired of fighting over this & I am tired of letting myself become overwhelmed & angry.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
He would need full treatment for OCD.
Psychotherapy sessions like CBT will also help him.
I would suggest him consultation with psychiatrist to evaluate him for the severity of OCD and associated mental disorders.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.