Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

Hungry every 2-3 hours, feel horrible when if I don't eat

Just like my question asks, I get hungry every 2-3 hours and right when I start to get hungry I start to feel horrible. My stomach just is in constant hunger pang mode and I feel very bleh and slightly light headed. It fixes within about 20-30 mins of eating. I try to eat at the first sign of getting hungry so it does not get bad.

I've never fainted or anything from it. As far as I can remember this has been going on for years, but seems to have gotten more constant in the past two years. Its not low blood sugar (I am a diabetic so I'm aware of what my sugars are when I'm feeling like this). Also, when i'm not feeling good or i'm sickish, it gets worse, and I usually get very hungry (feels like I just cant stop eating during those times). I am slightly overweight but nothing extreme or anything.

Also, it does not wake me up. If I go to sleep I'll sleep a good 6-8 hours, then when I wake up I have about an hour before I start to feel hungry and horrible again. It does not seem to matter what I eat, even after a big complex carb meal or lots of protein I still will get the horrible feeling in just a few hours.

Cannot go to the doctor about this right now as I do not have insurance until april, so just fishing on here to see if anyone has any ideas of what it might be or how to help treat it. Thanks alot for the help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2013
Hello! Welcome on eHealth forum and hope you find a satisfactory answer to your query!

You will be surprised to know that stomach ulcers and severe acidity can result in hunger pangs. Even GERD presents with similar symptoms. At times the hunger pangs due to acidity wakes up a person in the wee hours of night. Omeprazole is a good drug to combat this. Along with it you can try over the counter antacids. However I would recommend you see a doctor and take medication under a doctor’s supervision. Avoid heavy meals and take frequent small ones. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for at least 2 hours after food. Take a late night snack and keep lozenges or crackers beside to bed to be eaten when the hunger pain starts.

If you are a female and on contraceptive depot shot or take oral contraceptives, then this can cause acidity and make you feel as though you are hungry due to lot of acid. H pylori infection of the gut is another possibility which can be ruled out by carbon urea breath test. Pregnancy is another possibility in females.

The other possibility is diabetes (uncontrolled in your case), hyperthyroid states and worms in the gut. All can keep you hungry 24x7. Blood tests to rule out hyperthyroidism and stool test to rule out worms will be needed, along with a check to see if diabetes is under control. Though a rare disorder, pancreatic insulinomas should also be thought of in your case and have someone check your blood sugar while you have an anxiety cum hunger attack. The hypoglycemia in this is transient and there is a quick increase in blood glucose once you eat.

Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Blood Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.