Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

huge amount of pain on the lower end of my index finger

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
User Profile
Hello, recently Ive been lifting weights on my left hand. All of a sudden I felt a huge amount of pain on the lower end of my index finger. It feels like something is popping outward. I was wondering if you can send me a video of a possible method of putting it back.

I went to the chiropractor and he had two theories. He thought at first it was a calcium build up around that so I began getting Ultrasound/Laser treatment with no type of improvement doesn't feel like inflammation neither. Another doctor in the same office said it might be a bone. He said like the knees, held by mostly muscle, at least the part I was pointing at. He then said back in the day people used to use the "book" something technique i forget the name. Smack it back into place. He said its hard to heal on its own because over time muscle compensate by healing around it.

i have a picture of exactly where I feel something hard on my finger. f.html
Its in pdf form. Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2015
Mens Conditions Answer A52876
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. That is called callous bone. Get the radiographs done and let your ortho experts decide what is best. Both conservative and aggressive approaches can be opted from depending on the severity of the pain. Avoid lifting heavy weights for a while.

I hope it helps. stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and can not be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.

Take care

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.