User Profile
Hi I Just got my test results back for Herpes and My doctor and I were very confused on reading it. I Had what i believe was a herpes break out but not sure if it was from oral or sex. Just want to put this to rest and finally know the truth on if i have type 1 or 2..both or none.

here are the results...

1st page read....

Results Abnormal Reference Range
HERPES I Ab. (IgG) 1.70 HI <0.90*
HERPES II Ab. (IgG) 0.08 <0.90*
HERPES SIMP.Ab. (IgM) see below
HERPES TYPING see below

Then on 2nd page it confused me and read....

**Herpes Simplex Virus Types 1 & 2 IGM ABS (EIA) W/ REFLEX IFA

Results Abnormal Reference Range
HSV Type 1 IgM Antibodies <0.8 <0.8 index
HSV Type 2 IgM Antibodies 1.7 HIGH <0.8

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2008
Herpes and Genital Warts Answer A5040
As I could understand from your serological laboratory test you are positive for Anti-HSV-1-antibodies IgG-class which means you got infected with HSV-1 in the past. You are negative for Anti-HSV-2-antibodies from the class IgM which means that infection with HSV-1 is not acute but chronic. On the other hand positivity for Anti-HSV-2-antibodies from the class IgM suggests that probably you have recently been infected with HSV-2.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.