Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

HSV2 Could the blood test be a false positive?

I just found out last week I tested positive for HSV 2. I have been with my husband for 20 years and I know I have not been with anyone else. I am pretty sure he has not either. I have NEVER had any symptoms and neither has he. I have, however, for the past year had a blistery type skin problem. Starts out like blisters that pop then form blood blisters that pop and scab over with occasionally getting pus filled. The sores are only on my arms and breast though and have not spread anywhere else. I am wondering if these symptoms are related to the HSV 2 diagnosis? Everything I have read states that sores will be in the genital area only. Also, Doctor is saying this must have been idle in my system for over 20 years. I don't understand how I could have this for 20 years and not show any symptoms or my husband show any. (I would imagine he has it too) He went for blood work too but we have not gotten results back yet. Could the blood test be a false positive??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
firegirl67,

The herpes simplex virus (HSV) can lie dormant within the body for years to decades, without any overt symptoms. Then, for some reason, the virus erupts and causes symptoms.

Herpes simplex is divided into two types: HSV type 1 and HSV type 2. HSV1 primarily causes mouth, throat, face, eye, and central nervous system infections, while HSV2 primarily causes anogenital infections. However, each may cause infections in all areas. It used to be stated that HSV1 caused problems above the waist and HSV2 below the waist. But, it is now known that this is not true.

Persons can have a cold sore (HSV1) and spread it to their partners genitals through oral sex. And vice versa. So, the distinction between the two types is a little blurred.

You should discuss the rash you have with your physician and see if it could be the cause of the HSV infection. A false positive is always a possibility, but probably not. Wait for the confirmatory results, then go from there.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....