Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

24 hr blood pressure measurement discovered...

User Profile
Hi!!
For 2 months I (female, 29 years old) have discovered I have high blood pressure. Before I had always 110/75. I went to a doctor and did blood analysis and checked the heart and aorta but everything looks fine. Now I am doing a 24 h blood pressure measurement and discovered that during sleep or when I relax and lie down it is normal (120/75) but rises up to 150-160/100-110 as soon as I stand up or move. My father has as well hypertension since he was young and my mother has Basedow syndrome. I checked for TSH, but it is in normal values. I would be very grateful if you could give me some hints that I know what should I be concerned of… especially about this oscillation in blood pressure. how normal is that?
Thank you in advance,
Johanna

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2010
High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Answer A17244
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. I am glad to help you out. The blood pressure does rise a little when one stands or walks from the lying down position.

I’ll suggest consulting a cardiologist and getting yourself evaluated to look for a cause of hypertension. In young hypertensives, we need to rule out secondary hypertension which means that there’s an underlying cause of hypertension which can be cured compared to primary hypertension seen in the elderly in which there’s no underlying cause. Common renal causes are renal artery stenosis, chronic renal failure etc. Tumors of the adrenal gland can also cause the same and the assessment needs to be done by doing a urine VMA levels & CT scan abdomen. Thyroid hormone levels also should be checked which you have already done.

It’s extremely difficult to make an online diagnosis and for the same will suggest you to consult a cardiologist/physician. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.