Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

HPV gives me cervical cancer but give him warts?

User Profile
I was diagnosed with HPV a few months back and ended up getting cervical cancer.
A week ago my boyfriend, who I recently became sexually active with told me he had a wart and that his doctor told him he has genital warts.

My question is: Is it possible for me to pass a different type of hpv than the kind I have? Or could I possibly have more than one type and not know it?

Im just confused about how I could have the ind that gives me cervical cancer but give my boy friend genital warts?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2012
Herpes and Genital Warts Answer A40393
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. HPV is known to produce both the cervical cancer a well as the genital warts. There’re various types of the HPV virus. About 90% of genital warts are caused by two specific types of the virus (HPV-6 and -11), and these HPV types are considered "low risk," meaning they have a low cancer-causing potential. HPV-16 is responsible for about half of the cervical cancers. HPV types 16, 18, 31, and 45 are other known "high risk" virus types which can produce the cervical cancer. Hence, it is possible that you’ve been infected by one of the notorious cancer causing strains of the HPV. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.