Hi everybody. I recently found out that I have contracted HPV from my previous sexual partner. I feel like my life is over, I'm a young 22 year old woman and feel like a huge chunk has been just taken out of my life span. I can't seem to stop crying from this. I lost my virginity about 8 months ago, and just a few months ago noticed some warts or something down near my vaginal area. I seen a nurse and said she definitely thinks I have HPV. Now she told me to go see a doctor just to be sure, I'm still going to, but I can tell just from the reasearch and website's I have been visiting that HPV is infact what it is. The worst part of this whole situation is that my ex has HPV either does not know it and god forbid he is giving it to another woman as I speak, or he knows he has it and just did not tell me. The nurse told me that there was nothing that I could have done about it as approx 70% of the population is walking around with HPV, and they do not know it! That really blew my mind. She told me I have to basically assume every male I encounter has it, and how would he know he does? Not all strains are symptomatic, most are asymptomatic that is why I contracted it. There is no actual test for HPV, and the vaccine is wayyyyyyyyyyyy to expensive for me to get, so I mean. It seems you just can't win either way. I feel like a disease walking around though, I lose my viriginty and contract HPV, I'm still in shock. I wonder does anybody have any advice for me? I doubt i'm going to have sex again, or I have to find somebody that already has HPV. I mean how awkward is the rest of my life going to be. The only person who knows what's going on is my sister, and she is mad, she wants to kill my ex (not literally of course) but I mean, I could never tell any of my friends, they would look at me so differently. How do I proceed with the rest of my relationships I will be having in the near future? When do I tell them I have HPV? Any advice would help greatly, thanks everyone SadSad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile nightangel73
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2008
Supporter
I'm really sorry that you contracted HPV. IT's a bummer. I suggest that anytime you decided to become intimate with a person, you inform that person BEFORE the intimacy begins that you have HPV. This is the only responsible thing to do, and something that you need to take charge of. Even if your previous partner was irresponsible, it doesn't mean that you have to be.
|

replied November 11th, 2008
thanks for the reply
Yes I know that i have to inform possible partners in the future of my condition before we can engage in any intimacy. That is just common sense. What Iam really getting at is, how am i going to deal with this situation personally. It's going to put a damper on my next relationships i'm sure, not too mention decrease my confidence, and make me feel like I will never be able to be intimate again. I mean this is not something so simple that it will just go away once I tell them, most people I'm sure are going reject me, because obviously I pose a threat to them, which is understandable, but it just seems like it's going to limit me so much more in terms of possible relationships..successful ones at that! I just really want to know how to cope with this and how to not let it run my life! Does anyone have any ideas?
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Okay girl I have hpv. It's not the end of the world. Think yourself fortunate it is not herpes or hiv. I don't have the hpv wart type like you have, mine is the cervical which is invisible but more dangerous. The wart type doesn't put you at riks for cancer, the one I have does. The wart type is just more frustating because you can see it and I bet it is not a pretty sight. Now be relax, the warts will go away once treated. Eventually with treatment they will go for good and you will forget about your hpv. Now yes, you should inform this to your next partners. I did and I never had a problem. It didn't affect the relationship at all and I got married. If your man is caring and truly loves you this won't matter to him. You are not going to be sleeping around would you? You want to be with a man that truly loves you. So don't worry. The news are shocking in the begining but trust me you will forget about it. Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2008
Supporter
Good advice, nightangel. Smile

I have herpes and it was actually pretty easy for me to inform my partners...it was a little nerve wracking, but I took the risk and one of them actually had it, too. You've just got to open the conversation, however it happens...but before you get intimate. You generally know if you want to be physical with someone by the 2-3rd date. IT's also a mark of their character if they can be mature about it, or not.
|

User Profile
replied November 22nd, 2008
Experienced User
I found out a couple days ago that i have high risk hpv, i was soo upset i couldnt stop crying, i realy thought my life is over. But i have come to the concluson that if they guy wont accept me when i tell him, he's not the right guy. Also, because i hadnt ever heard of hpv and didnt know it caused cervical cancer or it could be transfered by skin to skin contact, i decided i would talk to my friends about it, make sure there educated and get at least a check up yearly, or hopefully the shot if they can afford it. I figure, crying about its not going to change it, im stuck with it, might as well make sure my friends know about it, that way i can hopefully keep them from getting it too.

Good luck to you!
|

replied November 23rd, 2008
Especially eHealthy
PixieKat wrote:
I found out a couple days ago that i have high risk hpv, i was soo upset i couldnt stop crying, i realy thought my life is over. But i have come to the concluson that if they guy wont accept me when i tell him, he's not the right guy. Also, because i hadnt ever heard of hpv and didnt know it caused cervical cancer or it could be transfered by skin to skin contact, i decided i would talk to my friends about it, make sure there educated and get at least a check up yearly, or hopefully the shot if they can afford it. I figure, crying about its not going to change it, im stuck with it, might as well make sure my friends know about it, that way i can hopefully keep them from getting it too.

Good luck to you!

Good attitude! I want to let you know that not everyone with HPV gets cervical cancer. Keep current on your pap smears and you'll be fine.
|

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2008
Experienced User
Yea i know not every one does but its still scary to know its a possibilty.
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
you'll be ok
It is estimated that 80 percent of all women âspam and 50 percent of men and women combined âspam will get one or more types of "genital" HPV at some point in their lives.

There is no treatment for the virus itself, but a healthy immune system can usually fight off HPV naturally.

Although most HPV infections go away within 8 to 13 months, some will not. If you have HPV, you should not be ashamed or afraid. Most people who have had sex have HPV at some point in their lives. And most infections go away on their own.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) says studies show that 20-30 percent of genital warts go away on their own, without treatment, within three months. This is most likely to occur if the warts are small in size and number. Warts that do not go away on their own can be eliminated with treatment, although they may come back and require repeat care. Rates of recurrence vary depending on the treatment used and individual circumstances. On average, however, it's estimated that 30 percent of genital warts will come back, requiring about three rounds of treatment.

There is a risk of spreading the HPV infection that caused the warts to your partner if you have direct genital contact while the warts are present. Using a condom may reduce that risk.
|

replied March 19th, 2009
hpv
I know you're young and it seems like the end of the world but you really shouldn't be ashamed honey. Try to put it in perspective. I found out about my genital warts a year ago after I divorced at 29. I was young, single again and sleeping with jerks that were bad for me. (using condoms) Now I wonder who or what I would have wound up with in the future if I had not contracted hpv. This time off has really given me some time to think about my future and concentrate on myself. Next time you're with someone, wouldn't it be nice to be with someone you love and who loves you? I have been symptom free for six months and my body has probably cleared it. But I will also be choosing my partners more carefully. It's good to be choosy!
|

replied June 1st, 2009
I have not been officially diagnosed by a doctor yet but I know that I have HPV (wart causing) that I actually just found today. I am absolutely devastated. I mean moved way far away and started over, got back to the church and centered my life around God and now I found out that stupid naive mistakes I made as a teen are going to haunt me for the rest of my life. What about having kids? Can I ever have a natual birth without passing this on to my children? Can I have a healthy sex life with my unknown future husband...if I get married? Please regurgitate any information you all have on any of this!
|

replied June 2nd, 2009
Experienced User
its alright your a woman, people will still like you and go out with you. if you were a man though, you'd be left in hopeless land
|

replied May 19th, 2010
Experienced User
jeanjeany wrote:
its alright your a woman, people will still like you and go out with you. if you were a man though, you'd be left in hopeless land

jeanjeany would you care to elaborate on this statement.
|

replied February 25th, 2011
I could elaborate. As a female you are much more likely to have suitors come at you, as (generally) you are the one being pursued. As a guy (generally) we have to do the pursuing and have to prove our own worth much more (generally). When we come at a female and tell them that we have an INCURABLE std, why would they chose us when they very often have many other choices?
At least that's what I am assuming jeanjeany means.
|

replied March 15th, 2011
I'm going through the same thing. I was diagnosed with high risk HPV about a year ago. High risk is the bad kind which gives you cervical cancer. It felt awful, but I confided in several of my female friends. Literally every other woman I spoke to had found out she had high risk HPV found by an abnormal pap smear. I felt like I could talk to other women about this problem. When I found my current boyfriend, I told him about my high risk hpv before we started sleeping together. He did not have a problem.

Almost exactly two months after we started sleeping together, I found warts on my genital area. I wanted to die. I finally scheduled an appointment at my school's health center and was diagnosed. I'm still so ashamed. Unlike the cancer causing kind, which is MUCH worse, I have told no one about this problem. Its SO much less accepted. I felt embarassed calling my gyno to schedule the appointment to have the warts removed. I actually cried after I called her. Whenever I think about them, I want to cry.

Its possible that I had the warts before I slept with my current boyfriend, but, given the timing, it is likely he gave them to me. He had no idea he had them. I'm 25 and have only slept with 4 people and only when I was in a committed relationship. He was tested before he slept with me, but there is no test for male HPV.

I don't know if this will help you, but I always repeat it to myself and it helps me. There was nothing I could have done to protect myself from this crap disease. Its normal to have sex and be in a relationship. I know I would have slept with my boyfriend even if I knew he had warts. If we ever break up for any reason, I can't be the only person in the world who would sleep with someone infected with HPV. I'm sooo much more upset about the warts than I am about the cancer. I know that warts have no real long term health consequences. A lot of my reaction is simply due to society's censorship.

Just remind yourself that this isn't the end of the world, most people get an std at some point in their life, and it sucks that yours just happens to be less curable than the average std.

You will have another relationship, get married, and have children. *Hug*
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2011
Experienced User
there IS a chance you could have gotten HPV from your very first partner. It's too common to pin it on to just ONE person.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied April 5th, 2011
Hey everyone - I found out about this a while ago but it seems it hasn't been covered much here. There's been a fair amount of research showing that carrageenan can prevent the transmission, and it is contained in some available water-based lubricants, notably Divine 9. There's also research suggesting it could prevent HSV (herpes), which is a real nice bonus.

The HPV article is: Carrageenan Is a Potent Inhibitor of Papillomavirus Infection at http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.ppat.002 0069
|

replied May 4th, 2011
high and low risk. ehhhh.
birdgirl25 wrote:
I'm going through the same thing. I was diagnosed with high risk HPV about a year ago. High risk is the bad kind which gives you cervical cancer. It felt awful, but I confided in several of my female friends. Literally every other woman I spoke to had found out she had high risk HPV found by an abnormal pap smear. I felt like I could talk to other women about this problem. When I found my current boyfriend, I told him about my high risk hpv before we started sleeping together. He did not have a problem.

Almost exactly two months after we started sleeping together, I found warts on my genital area. I wanted to die. I finally scheduled an appointment at my school's health center and was diagnosed. I'm still so ashamed. Unlike the cancer causing kind, which is MUCH worse, I have told no one about this problem. Its SO much less accepted. I felt embarassed calling my gyno to schedule the appointment to have the warts removed. I actually cried after I called her. Whenever I think about them, I want to cry.

Its possible that I had the warts before I slept with my current boyfriend, but, given the timing, it is likely he gave them to me. He had no idea he had them. I'm 25 and have only slept with 4 people and only when I was in a committed relationship. He was tested before he slept with me, but there is no test for male HPV.

I don't know if this will help you, but I always repeat it to myself and it helps me. There was nothing I could have done to protect myself from this crap disease. Its normal to have sex and be in a relationship. I know I would have slept with my boyfriend even if I knew he had warts. If we ever break up for any reason, I can't be the only person in the world who would sleep with someone infected with HPV. I'm sooo much more upset about the warts than I am about the cancer. I know that warts have no real long term health consequences. A lot of my reaction is simply due to society's censorship.

Just remind yourself that this isn't the end of the world, most people get an std at some point in their life, and it sucks that yours just happens to be less curable than the average std.

You will have another relationship, get married, and have children. *Hug*

I just found out yesterday that I have high risk 31 and low risk 6 (genital warts causing). I haven't found anything questionable (bumps, etc) but I can't help but freak out about how long it'll take for something to pop up. How long after sleeping with that boyfriend did you develop GW? Also, I've heard that HPV typically naturally works its way out of your body. Have you been tested to see if you're still HPV positive?
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2011
Experienced User
It can lie dormant in your systems for weeks or years, you could have slept with 5 people and you will never know who passed it to you. and yes, NORMALLY, your body rids itself from the virus but you should always go to your PAP smears and continue on with the treatments.
|

User Profile
replied August 29th, 2011
MMS Cured My HSV
Yes I cured myself using a program that included Jims procedures!

MMS really helps the immune system do what it already was trying to do.

How MMS works!

The Chemical Reaction of MMS - How it Works - Sodium Chlorite (MMS) + Citric Acid (lemon juice) + 3 min waiting (activation) = Chlorine Dioxide;

In the body Chlorine Dioxide helps to create Myeloperoxidase; The bodies immune system uses Myeloperoxidase to generate Hypochlorous Acid;

The body naturally produces and uses Hypochlorous Acid to kill (1) parasites (2) bacteria (3) fungi (4) viruses (5) tumor cells;

So you see we are just sending in overwhelming reinforcement into our body to "destroy" diseases, it virtually kills "every" known pathogen!

check out theundergroundcure.com
|

replied September 20th, 2011
I just need to know that I am not alone.
Hi everybody I am 17 years old and lost my virginity to my current boyfriend 4 months ago and found out that I have contracted genital warts.

I have fallen in love for the first time in my life and have never been happier, and sadder in my life. I have always been very protective of sexual relations with people and cannot believe that I have contracted a disease myself. I feel as if I'm dirty and worthless. I feel as if my sex life has ended just as it got started.

Everywhere it says that the best way to prevent yourself from catching an STD is to limit your sex partners and participate in "monogamous relationships" but what if you got it from doing exactly that? This shows me that just never having sex is the only way to prevent STDs.

I have not told my boyfriend that they were genital warts, only once I said I thought I had bumps and was too ashamed to ever talk about it again. He doesn't even know he carries the virus but I plan on telling him this week. I can't hold it in anymore. This has been devastating to my life and probably will hurt him as well but I finally realized that I should just tell him because A.) he deserves to know and B.) once i tell him, we could deal with it together.

My boyfriend and I love each other very much and i hope this won't ruin anything between us but i feel as if it has ruined my life especially since the virus will stay in me forever. I am so depressed and cry all the time. How could the best thing that has ever happened to me produce the worst thing as well?

Any support or comments would be greatly appreciated Razz I just need to know that I am not alone.
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....