Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Economic Recession Forum

How to save money at the grocery store

User Profile
It's helpful to buy bulk. I suggest that you start buying these products in 5 lb. bags. You can also go to specialty stores (like Asian or African markets) and find even larger bags of these products:

* rice
* grains
* flour
* beans

Also, check out online coupons.

Any other ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper marleyj
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2009
Experienced User
Saving money
I check the weekly inserts for the Sunday paper and buy my detergents when the prices go down.
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2009
Experienced User
Shopping
There is also the Aldi stores if you have them in your area. Instead of spending $100 at Woolworths or Coles, you spend about $70.

It is most important to go shopping with a list. And a list that lists only items which are wanted. A list that is adheared too in the shop.

None of this complusive buying.

Ah, if chilren are demanding when in a supermarket leave them at home Smile

Happy shopping,

JennyWren
P.S. Do you really need a new pair of shoes?

Nah......
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2009
Supporter
If you can afford one, a deep freezer is a good investment. If you have the extra storage space you can load up on meats and frozen entrees that are on sale.
One other money saving tip is to buy meats and fresh vegetables that are reduced because will soon go bad. Now, if you plan your meals in advance this won't help you but if you're versatile, you can get expensive cuts of meat for half the price and eat them for dinner that night or the following night.
My last tip is to shop at the Dollar Tree, Mighty Dollar or 99-cent store in your area. I can get a three pack of Ivory soap, name brand dishwashing liquid, and name brand toothpaste for a dollar. If purchased at the grocery store, these items would cost me nearly three times as much. I know most people don't have time to run all over town to get these things so I only go once every month or once every other month and I get more than enough to last me until I go back.
|

replied March 10th, 2009
Weekly circulars are a big help. If you buy things (especially canned goods) only when they're on sale, you'll save a ton!
|

replied March 11th, 2009
Shopping list
It may seem rather obvious, but you might be surprised at how many people go grocery shopping unprepared. If you plan your meals for the week carefully, and list only what you know you will need and use, you will avoid spending money on food that goes to waste.

Hope this helps!!
|

replied January 24th, 2016
Active User, very eHealthy
Is this not helpful.. other new tips?
|

replied April 23rd, 2009
I buy coupons on ebay, sometimes eat for free. The way I look at it is if each person can eat for a dollar a day, I am doing really well. When there is something on sale, like TP, I go hog wild and stock up for a year. In the end it all adds up. Also, shop at the dollar tree for liquid detergents and other stuff, that also helps to save. Good Luck!!!

|

replied October 19th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I'd be cautious about buying food or washing products that touch your skin from dollar stores or other off-brand stores. Often they import products from countries with different standards of health protection. Some are completely unregulated.

My best shopping advice is keep a list of the staple items that you buy every month, be it canned soups or penut butter or spagetti sause. When you see these items go on a deep discount sale buy about 6 times what you normally would or as much as the sale will allow. You'll use them eventually, in the long run you're usually saving 30-75% on them.
|

replied January 3rd, 2012
Many grocery stores offer discount coupons to enable the shopper avail discount on their purchases, these can save up to 10% on your annual groceries bills.

Buying from online supermarket helps you getting best quality product at most competitive price. It also saves you lot of time which can be utilized for more productive activities. You also save on transportation cost which, indirectly helps in saving money on groceries.
|

User Profile
replied January 4th, 2012
Supporter
I've never heard of online grocery shopping, johnalbert1, but I'm very interested- not for myself but for my mother who has mobility issues and can't get to the store as often as she'd like. Is the shipping reasonable? Or are you talking about a company like Schwan's that specializes in frozen foods and sends a truck out every so often to neighborhoods?
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2013
But, how can we know the online ones can be faithful? What if the real stuffs sending to us are not the same as the ones on the pictures online?
|