Medical Questions > Mens Health > Prostate Forum

How to prevent prostate

My father 75 years old with "chronic non-bacterial prostatitis. PSA test show 4.8 ng/ml, Bladder - neck is raised by about 1 cm; the amount of residual urine is 20 ml.
Prostate is enlarged; size is 6 x 4,6x5 cm, volume is 72 cubic centimeters, zonal architectonics is disrupted due to the large size of the trilobarny node of 4.3 x 3, 7 x 4 cm dimensions, volume is 30 cubic centimeters. The calcification around 13 mm is revealed in the left segment of the node. Also calcifications are detected in the course of the urethra. Outer contour of the prostate is smooth and clear.
Vesicles are homogeneous, atrophic. There wasnt found any free or encysted fluid in the abdominal cavity.
Please recommend me what type of medicine can help him
by name with dosage, to prevent it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper InColorado

replied February 12th, 2013
Please help me!
Did you find this post helpful?

replied February 12th, 2013
I'm 64, 5'10", and 170lbs. I started having annual blood test in 2005 and every year since then my PSA score has increased. I was concerned about prostate cancer because my older brother had it, my father had it and his father had it. My older brother was diagnosed with prostate cancer when his PSA score a bit less than 4.0ng/mL.

In 2005 my PSA score was 0.45ng/mL and it had increased to 1.3ng/mL in my 2011 blood test. This was still relatively low compared to my brother's and your father's but you can see the direction in which it was headed.

In October of 2011 I started taking Anatabloc for secondary hypothyroidism. Four months later, I had another blood test done and as part of that I ordered another PSA test. It had decreased by more than 50% to 0.6ng/mL. I have also noticed that most nights I don't need to get up to go to the bathroom anymore.

I don't know if this will help your father but since this OTC supplement has no side-effect, it can't hurt. By the way, over the years I have tried a number of vitamin, mineral, and herbal supplements to address my rising PSA problem and none of them made any difference. My PSA number kept on increasing.

--- I Wish You Luck
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
He would need anti inflammatory drugs like naproxen. As post voidal volume is low hence there is no need of tamsulosin or other similar drugs.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Prostate , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.