Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

How to look at depression in it's simplest form..

User Profile
Most of us know we are probably if not absolutely depressed or we wouldn't be here, but there is a way to help ourselves and take back control of our lives. I prefer to keep things simple, because it in fact, keeps thing simple. I have lived with depression for years and it no longer keeps me down or has control over me. How did I do it? Through self education, keeping it simple, and learning the therapies involved. Do I need to be here? NO Why am I here? Because I want to simplify this battle and help you overcome it in your own right. You have the right to be happy in this life, but the depressed have to fight for it. Everyone has to fight for something right? So in fact you are no different than anyone else, but one of your fights in life is learning how to be happy again. I'm not saying it's easy, but I am saying it can be simplified and easier to understand. I will be re-posting some of the material here in an effort to simplify this battle for some of you if not all.

The first question is, "What is Depression?" (In it's simplest form, it's a chemical imbalance)..

Depressive illnesses are disorders of the brain. MRIs show that the brains of people who have depression look different than those of people without depression. In clinically depressed people, the parts of the brain responsible for regulating mood, thinking, sleep, appetite and behavior don't work normally. Plus, researchers have found that the chemicals brain cells use to communicate appear to be out of balance in the brains of someone who is clinically depressed.
(As I said, it's a chemical imbalance, just as stated above)

Are you depressed? Let's find out.. Question number two, "what are the symptoms?"

*Difficulty concentrating, remembering details and making decisions
*Difficulty sleeping
*Excessive sleeping
*Feeling fatigued, weak, or energy loss
*Feeling anxious or "empty"
*Feeling sad, down or unusual pessimism
*Feeling guilty, worthless and/or helpless
*Irritability
*Loss of interest in normal daily activities, hobbies once pleasurable, or sex
*Restlessness
*Thoughts of death, suicide, suicidal behavior, or suicide attempts
*Unexplained crying episodes
*Unexplained physical problems, such as back pain, digestive problems or headaches
*Unintentional weight gain or loss caused (overeating or appetite loss)
*Avoiding, distraction from, or holding back strong feelings
* Taking away emotional pain and distress
*Punishing yourself
*Releasing or expressing anger you're afraid to express to other Stopping a painful memory or thought
*Trying to feel better

(Most of you can relate I'm sure, or you wouldn't be here to begin with. Study this list and pay attention in your daily lives so that you know when depression is attacking you. This is a battle after all, and when you know you are being attacked, you can fight back because you can now see when the attack is taking place each and every time. The fight gets easier, but only when you understand when you are being attacked and begin fighting back.)

Question number three, "How can I fight back?"

Keep in mind this is a battle, but there are weapons/therapies you can use to destroy this enemy we call depression. Self induced therapies go a long way in this battle, but first you must understand one of the major weapons used by doctors to help you fight back. This called "Cognitive Behavior Therapy" and as I like to keep it simple, this is basically "Behavior modification".

(Basically and in a nutshell, if you awake feeling sad, choose not to think about it, but instead, choose to think about what you are doing and instead take a shower, or eat breakfast. So instead of thinking about how sad you are, think about what it is you need to do, such as a shower, or eating breakfast. This is a simple way of understanding behavior modification and it can be applied through out your whole day. Take back control of your thoughts and your emotions will take the back seat which is a more stable and "normal" way of going about your day. It gets easier with practice, you have my word.)

So, as it stands and keeping it simple, you have a chemical imbalance that produces depressive symptoms. What made the most sense to me and in my personal battle with depression was a quote by none other than Albert Einstein which states, "The solution is never apart from the problem." To make this simpler to understand, if you cut off your finger, the solution is to reattach the finger. Therefore the problem is the finger (your mind) and the solution is to reattach the finger (your mind again). Basically depression causes a disconnect just like the severed finger, and you must learn to reconnect it so that it performs in a more normal state on a daily basis. It's not easy, but it can be much simpler to understand this way.

This is how I learned to deal with and make sense of my years long depression and the path I took to reconnecting myself with the world around me. Today I no longer have to battle with the debilitating effects of depression, because when a symptom pops up, I can easily and with all confidence slap it aside like a bothersome fly. Educate yourself on what you are facing and take action against it and the battle you, me, we all face gets so much easier and with practice gives way to happier days, and extremely little sadness. You have the power to take your life back and control your thoughts instead of your mind tricking you live in sadness. It truly is up to you guys how it all plays out, and you only live once, so take action now, and NEVER GIVE IN!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile UpnUp
|

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2014
Hey guys/gals I know my post sounds a bit like a cheerleader's rant, but I swear to you it isn't. I truly and firmly believe in what I typed because it was and is the EXACT path I took to defeat my own depression. It's like that one person at work you dislike extremely but can't seem to get rid of. It's not going anywhere, so the only thing you can do is learn how to make it the smallest problem you have. If I can make it any simpler to understand I will try, but it's all about your mind understanding what you are dealing with. It's not just going to go away, remember this, and never forget it. Every problem has a solution even if you can't get rid of the problem, you can learn to move around it, you have my word - UpnUp. Stay mindful!!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....