Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

how to get more active ?

Hi Friends,

I am a businessman and my most of work involves admistrative ativites like communicating with buyers and suppliers , handling accounts etc etcc.

I have become very lazy in the past few years.

1. I feel like sleeping after having a meal.

2. I dont like to getup before 9 am

3. I dont like to go anywhere in the feild , even to meet a buyer or sometimes even a doctor. I dont like to socialize also because of this laziness.

4. My world to me is my house , my family , my office, my telephones and my computer.

5. The very idea of going somewhere makes me feel very tired.

What shud i do to make myself more active
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Try having some family outings?

Bike rides, beaches, frizbee, anything!

You can motivate yourself to get outside and you're spending time with your family too! Plus, using your kids as help to motivate works great because once you tell them you're going to do something, it's hard to back out.

My mom does it all the time only a little different. She'd never get to the gym if my sister didn't have swim lessons Wink
|

replied June 16th, 2008
This may seem strange but what helped me was my ipod. I got it as a gift and rediscovered my love of music. Certain songs just make you want to move and it really did help me in getting off my arse and start moving around.

Of course my 20-year class reunion is helping as well.

And my mother critisizing my weight. I love more than anything to prove her wrong. lol
|

replied June 16th, 2008
Also, all kidding aside, it sounds like you may be a bit depressed. I am not an expert on that in any way but I have been through the stage that you are of just not really wanting to do anything at all.

What do you take an interest in? Most ("all" I would think) people if they were promised $1 million to lose weight, they would manage to do it. So it's not like you *can't* do it. You can do it. You just have to focus on something you want that will get you there.

You can do it!
|

replied June 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
fallsian wrote:
This may seem strange but what helped me was my ipod. I got it as a gift and rediscovered my love of music. Certain songs just make you want to move and it really did help me in getting off my arse and start moving around.

Of course my 20-year class reunion is helping as well.

And my mother critisizing my weight. I love more than anything to prove her wrong. lol

I'm Definitely with you on that one..I LOVE my ipod, i used to not be able to work out without it! of course now at the ymca I go to every eliptical has its own individual tv and a jack for headphones built into it...pretty awesome right?! Usually I find myself watching top model haha, work out goes by fast! i love it Smile
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I hate laziness. This problem is one of those that just goes in one big circle. Similar to Goldmember the movie, when Fat !**@! states "I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat".

Anyway, what I mean by that is laziness prevents one from reaching certain goals. But despite the person's attempt to achieve them, the laziness, which is the problem they are trying to fix, becomes the problem that sets them back from doing so.

Out of curiosity, what was your life like since you were a kid? Did you generally have this sort of trend. or were you at one point considerably active, whether it was sports, or any other sort of hobbies.

If it is the case that you never have really gone out and experienced what the world has to provide, despite it requiring socializing and physical activity, the only thing you can do to change that is to go out and experience them whether or not you like it. If you haven't ever experienced it, and let the years go by, generally we all begin to fear change and have a natural bias for not wanting to try it later on. The only way you can discover if you will enjoy something then, is to just drive yourself to each task with an open mind and see if it is something you can see yourself doing. If not, keep moving on to the next thing.

I may be considerably younger then yourself, but I can understand the perspective of somebody who hasn't attempted to socialize and kept mostly to myself. I was like that for most of my teen years because of some issues, depression, low self esteem, etc.
College started and I decided to try new things. One of them for instance is dance. As you know, there is a stigma that most guys (straight ones) don't dance, I never would have thought myself doing it, after receiving so much racism about asians not having rhythm (all of which i took seriously back then), and it definitely didn't seem like anything I would enjoy, making a fool out of myself in the dance floor.
Turns out, I'm very good despite my lack of experience, it's been only a year when I first took salsa and swing lessons, for the last two semesters, I help teach that very class now as a "T.A." =P

Go out, no matter how uninteresting and unappealing it may seem to you, and just try. Have your family force you and support you on this.

Not to be a sore thumb, but we all eventually part this world, I'd like to personally think about that one fateful day, and make sure I don't have a list of things that I would suddenly just realize that I wished I could have tried to do.
|

replied June 17th, 2008
worrywart01 wrote:
I'm Definitely with you on that one..I LOVE my ipod, i used to not be able to work out without it! of course now at the ymca I go to every eliptical has its own individual tv and a jack for headphones built into it...pretty awesome right?! Usually I find myself watching top model haha, work out goes by fast! i love it Smile

SO true! That has been probably 90% of my success in keeping me focused when I am not in a class where someone is making me do something. I put some mixes together based on how much time I have for a workout which include kind of a starting song, then high energy, then one or two cool down songs. I find if I say to myself "Only four more songs to go" or some such, I can push my way through when I really want to stop.

That's cool about plugging into a tv though. I could probably catch some shows I've been hearing about but not having time to see.
|

replied June 17th, 2008
Mikolas wrote:
Similar to Goldmember the movie, when Fat health questions states "I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat".

lol "Get.in.my.belly!"

Quote:
If it is the case that you never have really gone out and experienced what the world has to provide, despite it requiring socializing and physical activity, the only thing you can do to change that is to go out and experience them whether or not you like it. If you haven't ever experienced it, and let the years go by, generally we all begin to fear change and have a natural bias for not wanting to try it later on. The only way you can discover if you will enjoy something then, is to just drive yourself to each task with an open mind and see if it is something you can see yourself doing. If not, keep moving on to the next thing.

That is an amazing observation, M. and very well put.

Nirisaint, you really do just have to get up and get interested in something, anything at this point, and let it build from there. There HAS to be something that intrigues you. Think of that movie "The Bucket List". Do you want to get to that point in your life and say to yourself "I wish I'd done that"?

Quote:
I may be considerably younger then yourself, but I can understand the perspective of somebody who hasn't attempted to socialize and kept mostly to myself. I was like that for most of my teen years because of some issues, depression, low self esteem, etc.
College started and I decided to try new things. One of them for instance is dance. As you know, there is a stigma that most guys (straight ones) don't dance, I never would have thought myself doing it, after receiving so much racism about asians not having rhythm (all of which i took seriously back then), and it definitely didn't seem like anything I would enjoy, making a fool out of myself in the dance floor.
Turns out, I'm very good despite my lack of experience, it's been only a year when I first took salsa and swing lessons, for the last two semesters, I help teach that very class now as a "T.A." =P

Well done! I can't tell you how many women I know complain that their SOs won't take them dancing. Women outnumber the men dramatically. Most women would tell you hands down they'd take a Patrick Swayze over a football player any day.

Quote:
Not to be a sore thumb, but we all eventually part this world, I'd like to personally think about that one fateful day, and make sure I don't have a list of things that I would suddenly just realize that I wished I could have tried to do.

Word!
|

User Profile
replied July 22nd, 2008
Re: how to get more active ?
nirisaint wrote:
Hi Friends,

I am a businessman and my most of work involves admistrative ativites like communicating with buyers and suppliers , handling accounts etc etcc.

I have become very lazy in the past few years.

1. I feel like sleeping after having a meal.

2. I dont like to getup before 9 am

3. I dont like to go anywhere in the feild , even to meet a buyer or sometimes even a doctor. I dont like to socialize also because of this laziness.

4. My world to me is my house , my family , my office, my telephones and my computer.

5. The very idea of going somewhere makes me feel very tired.

What shud i do to make myself more active

You know, I can kind of relate to what you're saying. I think some people who are reaching middle age and are "been there done that" types find it harder and harder to get excited about things anymore. The only thing I can suggest is to branch out with your interests. Maybe you find most of the people you associate with boring. Who the hell wants to stand around with a bunch of slugs they find boring? Get interested in a new hobby. Even depressed ppl can usually find something to get at least a little excited about. Go with that and see where it leads. The BIG sleep comes to soon for all of us; don't blow it while you're still awake!
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....