Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pancreas Disorders Forum

How to gain weight in condition of chronic pancreatitis

I am a patient of chronic pancreatitis. My weight is constant for last 7 years. how can i gain some weight?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 5th, 2012
Hi there.

I've had alcohol induced chronic pancreatitis for 18 years. For the first 5 years I was completely unable to gain weight... stuck at about 120 pounds. The last 10 years I've been better (mostly) and weight a normal 140 pounds.

The key to weight is many small, low fat meals. Only fat seems to cause pain for me. Eat an easy to digest small meal every hour.

Examples:

(1) 2 slices of simple bread every hour

OR

(2) about a cup of lo-fat ice cream every hour

Right now I eat about 2 liters of lo-fat ice cream every day on top of my usual diet.
|

replied April 25th, 2018
Experienced User
While some people may want to be thinner, losing weight isn't always a good thing. In fact, losing weight without trying is one of the tell-tale signs of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI), a digestive problem that can be caused by pancreatic diseases or other medical conditions such as cystic fibrosis. Try out herbal supplement.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Gastritis is a general term for stomach disorder. Learn more about types of gastritis, and the anatomy of the stomach in this basic intro to gastritis....
Gastritis occurs when the stomach lining becomes irritated and inflamed. But what can cause this medical condition? Are you at risk of this stomach disorder?...
Gastritis, or stomach inflammation, can be either acute or chronic. Learn how to tell the difference and know when to seek medical help by reading here....