Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

how to ease the burning in my throat from chocking on acid?

User Profile
I wake up chocking on acid and can't breathe, can't stop coughing which only makes it worse as well as clearing my throat. What can I do to calm down the volcanic lava in my throat so I am not up for hours waiting for it to subside enough for me to fearfully try to go back to sleep. I've just recently been to the Dr's and are changing my meds,(omeprazole does nothing for me) but the pharmacy I get my meds from is waiting for the new prescription to come in as it is backordered. I NEED to sleep, I have 4 kids to take care of and I can't keep staying up like this suffering. ANYONE....HELP....PLEASE.......
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2014
Experienced User
Alyssa, the PPIs (omeprazole and similar) will reduce the acid content but they won't control the reflux. They will mean the reflux will be non-erosive but can still be aspirated into your airways causing cough and the related symptoms you describe.
There are a number of different PPIs and they are all as effective at controlling acid as each other - though some are tolerated more by some people than others. They need to be taken every day pre-emptively and it may take a few days before you see the difference.

There are no magic pills to stop reflux but there are measures you can take.

Your reflux occurs because the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (a ring of muscles around the base of the esophagus whose job it is to keep the tube shut) isn't working properly. One common cause is a hiatal hernia.
This means the stomach can leak contents back up the esophagus.

Think of your stomach as a water balloon. If the neck isn't held closed (by the LES) tipping or squeezing it can make it spill.
So:
Avoid overfilling the stomach. Eat 5 or 6 half sized meals instead of 3 large ones.
To prevent pressure on the stomach, lose weight (if necessary). Avoid tight clothing. Avoid exercise that involves bending or otherwise scrunching the stomach for a couple of hours after eating.
Let gravity help the contents empty from your stomach. Keep upright after food. Have your last meal at least 3 hours before going to bed. Raise the head of the bed by 6 to 8 inches.

Believe me, I do know how debilitating the reflux cough etc. can be from years of personal experience.

If you are unable to manage the reflux, the other option is surgery - a fundoplication which has the effect of tightening the LES. It worked for me.

All the best
Chris
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2014
Experienced User
Alyssa, the PPIs (omeprazole and similar) will reduce the acid content but they won't control the reflux. They will mean the reflux will be non-erosive but can still be aspirated into your airways causing cough and the related symptoms you describe.
There are a number of different PPIs and they are all as effective at controlling acid as each other - though some are tolerated more by some people than others. They need to be taken every day pre-emptively and it may take a few days before you see the difference.

There are no magic pills to stop reflux but there are measures you can take.

Your reflux occurs because the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (a ring of muscles around the base of the esophagus whose job it is to keep the tube shut) isn't working properly. One common cause is a hiatal hernia.
This means the stomach can leak contents back up the esophagus.

Think of your stomach as a water balloon. If the neck isn't held closed (by the LES) tipping or squeezing it can make it spill.
So:
Avoid overfilling the stomach. Eat 5 or 6 half sized meals instead of 3 large ones.
To prevent pressure on the stomach, lose weight (if necessary). Avoid tight clothing. Avoid exercise that involves bending or otherwise scrunching the stomach for a couple of hours after eating.
Let gravity help the contents empty from your stomach. Keep upright after food. Have your last meal at least 3 hours before going to bed. Raise the head of the bed by 6 to 8 inches.

Believe me, I do know how debilitating the reflux cough etc. can be from years of personal experience.

If you are unable to manage the reflux, the other option is surgery - a fundoplication which has the effect of tightening the LES. It worked for me.

All the best
Chris
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2014
how to ease the burning in my throat from chocking on acid?
Thanks, What I really, really need is in the moment of BURNING, what can I do?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2014
Drink a glass of water with milk it will put the acid back in your stomach..and give u relief.
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2014
Experienced User
If you take your PPIs regularly and follow the lifestyle advice, you shouldn't get those burning moments so frequently. When you do, Gaviscon is probably the best solution. Not only will it neutralize quickly, it will line the esophagus and float on the acid lake like oil on troubled water. But it won't help with cough or choking.
|
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...