I'm beginning to think I have a Cerebrospinal fluid leak, but I'm not sure. This has happened before, the first time being two months ago. I had experienced a fizzing/rainstick type noise in the back of my neck whenever I tilted my head to either side, and mild neck pain when undisturbed. It started up again last night, though the pain was much stronger. When I lied down in bed, I thought I could feel the slightest bit of liquid dripping out of my right ear, though I think this might've been in my imagination due to all the stress of the situation. I took some Tylenol and went to bed, and the next day at school, my back ached until I eventually got home and sat down. The pain moved back up towards my neck. I keep experiencing a salty substance in the back of my throat too, but I'm not sure if it's postnasal drip or cerebral fluid. Just a minute ago, I started getting a throbbing headache just above my right ear, and took Tylenol to ease the pain. Should I see a doctor, or wait till it gets worse? Is there any way to confirm that this really is a leak or something serious before it gets worse? I don't know what would've caused this, I've been having issues with me blacking out / almost blacking out when stretching for a few years, (I never saw a doctor about this. I still have no idea what it is.) but other than that, I can't think of anything.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2018
The only way to confirm is CSF leak is to examine the fluid in the lab which is dripping out of the nose of the ear. A CSF leak cannot be confirmed clinically.

Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Headache, Stress
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain and Head Injuries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.