Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

How long till your hormones balance out after birth control?

Hi everybody!

I have a question regarding birth control.

I was taking OrthoEvra for a year and a half. I stopped last September and got my first period a month after. I haven't had a skipped period (which is good) but each month I keep getting my period later and later. I also moved in the meantime so I know that there is some stress involved and some changes due to travels. But, I moved before as well (before ever taking birth control) and never had these differences in my cycle.

My question is, is this lateness of period still possible to be due to after effects of quitting birth control or could it be something else? How long does it take for the body to really adjust?

I used to have my period "on point", it rarely missed a beat. At this moment, when I had it let's say 1/Feb, next one I get 7/March or a bit later and then after that 14/April, it seems to be off by a week if not more and couple of times it came early as well.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2014
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If your periods have been regular, it seems that you body has got adjusted to a menstrual cycle that is a bit longer than your usual one. Instead of having a 30 day cycle, you are having about 35 or 37 day cycle. As long as you have regular periods and normal bleeding, it can be considered as normal. Having variation of 5-10 days in menstrual cycle length can be considered as normal. For further evaluation, clarification and assistance, visit your doctor/gynecologist. Look out for development of any new symptoms. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.