Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

how long does it take for infantigo to clear up?

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
I have a spot of infantigo on my chin, i read online that you treat it with antibiotic cream. So i've been applying it on the spot then i was covering it with a bandaid to keep it from spreading to my 5 year old and the rest of my family but today I seen that blisters are forming right ontop of the same spot and they popped. Is this normal? Also how long does it take for infantigo to clear up and is there something else i can apply to this bacterial infection to make it clear up faster? Also is it normal for it to have a tingling feeling?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2012
Skin Answer A36442
Welcome to ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

Impetigo presents as single or many blisters filled with pus; easy to pop and -- when broken -- leave a reddish raw-looking base on the face or lips. They may be filled with yellow or honey-colored fluid.

It is a highly contagious superficial bacterial skin infection. Primarily caused by Staphylococcus aureus and sometimes by Streptococcus pyogenes. Topical and oral antibiotics are the treatment of choice. My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist and get prescribed oral antibiotics.

Also always use a clean washcloth and towel each time and do not share your towels, clothing, razors, and and other personal care products. Also wash your hands thoroughly after touching the skin lesions.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.