After smoking for 35 years, this is how I quit.

First, I knew I was going to quit one day. So, I decided to begin laying the ground work.

First, I had to quit smoking at work. I stopped smoking in the house at home too. Little by little I reduced the number of times each day I went outside to smoke.

Then, I quit smoking on the drive to and from work. At first this was hard to do. But after a month of this..I didn't even crave a smoke any more on the commute.

Then, I quit smoking in any car.

By this time it was 4 months since I started to quit.

Next, I quit smoking after 9 pm. Only after I was totally comfortable with that (so that I no longer craved a smoke at night), I stopped smoking before the first coffee each morning.

By now, it was about a year since I started the process. I realize now that I was training myself to deal with cravings. I could tell myself...well.. it's just for now.

Then, one day, I just stopped altogether. I didn't really mean to do it...just... I thought to myself "well, I'm just not going to smoke for the rest of this day". And I didn't AND..at 9pm I stopped having any cravings! I was home free till the next day. The next day I felt I was on a roll and then wanted to get a smoke free streak going.

I just didn't give into any cravings. I have lots of practice dealing with cravings by that time. I would go sit in the car if it got bad for me...and suddenly..the craving would go away. Suddenly.. one day led to the next and after 2 weeks I knew I would never smoke again.

I found another place I have never smoked...so won't crave a cig.... the shower! I was squeaky clean for a good while!

I never smoked again. (9 years ago)

I told friends about this and 2 have done the same thing..took a year to build up to it..then just quit. It worked for them too.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 13th, 2010
The shower thing - totally true. During the worst cravings - put yourself in places you never had a smoke.
|

replied March 20th, 2010
Smoking inhibits you to think better. You feel stressed. You can quit smoking with strong will power and determination. You lose your energy and get used to it. So the easier way to quit smoking is use electronic cigarettes and slowly reduce it.
|

replied March 23rd, 2010
Electronic cigarette really helps you to quit smoking. These points would definitely help people to quit smoking.
|

replied April 3rd, 2010
That''s pretty cool Katie. Well done! Smile
I quit all at once. After reading Allen Carr and Positively Quit. Wasn''t easy. But I''m happy I''ve come this far!
|

replied May 7th, 2010
I Have tried everything including a heart attack 6 years ago. I gave up for about three months using Champix but I had a particularly bad night and gave in and bought a packet

Have tried Champix a couple of times without the same effect as as when I quit two years ago.

Now my brand has gone up to $116.00 a carton and I can't really afford it anymore.

Willing to give Champix another go but am not covered by PBS so Champix is going to cost a fortune.

Does anyone know a cheap Chemist, preferably Western Suburbs Brisbane?
|

replied May 10th, 2010
I quit without pills, patches or gums and maybe my story will help you as well. I sure hope so anyway.
|