I had my first gout experience was just 3 weeks ago. I am 29 years old, no major health problems all my life and physically active for three quarters of my youth. Recently haven't really been working out but I am not in a state of ill health, I'm relatively slim and average body size for my age. Anyhow, I did not know what this condition was until I looked it up online after what I thought was a toe cramp got worse and worse over several days leading up to excruciating pain. Although, my Dr's appt wasn't until 2 weeks away, I scoured the internet to find what my problem was and immediately diagnosed myself as having Gout. Two weeks prior I did incur a diet change a pseudo-Slow Carb Diet (the one Timothy Ferriss wrote about in his book 4 Hour Body). That is the only thing I can attribute it to at my age beside maybe it being hereditary from my grandfather (I remembered he had bad problems with rheumatoid arthritis and the sorts). So having caught it relatively early, I started using all the home remedies I can find. To the point where about a 4 days from the onset, the pain got so bad that I went to the ER. They took my blood tests, all my blood levels came back normal. No elevated Uric Acid, No elevated White Blood Cell Count. But they couldn't find any other condition they can diagnose me with except Gout so that's what they did and prescribed me Colchicine, Indomethacin and Oxycodone for the pain. Great I said. Not knowing what exactly it is, I just continued to scour the internet for more and more alternative ways to perhaps help the medication I was also taking from the hospital visit to alleviate.

In the span of 2 weeks, I have tried absolutely EVERYTHING that's been espoused online and from what others have advised:
1) Baking Soda w/ water 3x a day

2) Black Cherry Concentrate pills from GNC

3) Apple Cider Vinegar in water & honey 3x a day

4) Potassium supplements (600 - 1000 mg per day) (I've read that a lack of Potassium in your body can also increase the chances of Gout and that Potassium can lead to flushing out crystals)

5) Steeping fresh Green Tea leaves with winter melon overnight and drink it room temperature (chinese remedy)

6) Cutting out all beef and foods labeled as high in purines, but during the course, had an occasional glass of wine or 2 and some pork and chicken (after all, it was during the Superbowl - who could resist) Although, I've read in a lot of places where this is actually debunked.

So after all, what worked? and what didn't?

This is what I can tell you: After extensive reading up on the cause of Gout, I discovered that 1) High Uric Acid = Acidic body and Acidic environment 2) It builds up over years and years, it gets triggered if you have an over excess of high protein/purine foods and/or alcohol binge along with a high protein diet 3) Dehydration and lack of water, can cause your body's acidic environment to nurture the Uric Acid buildup and crystals in your joints.

There was a tipping point in which, my left big toe started to finally feel better and heal and then went downhill from there, without any more flareups.

I realized the food was perhaps causing the gout? Okay, so first I'll fast for at least 3 days in order for me to test and experiment whether my gout was due to any type of "food". In my second day of fasting I noticed a vast improvement in my pain and swelling haven decreased. Secondly, while fasting, I super hydrated and super alkalized my body.

At least 5-6 tall glasses of water per day. To the point where every time I urinate, it was clear and not yellow. If my urine ever got yellow, that was an indication that I needed to drink more water or perhaps, I forgot to maintain my level of hydration.
Make sure your water is alkalized. Throw in a couple slices or wedges of lemon in each glass. This helps alkalize the water.

I went to a local Whole Foods or Trader Joes, (whichever you prefer) and bought a canister of SuperGreens Powder. I mixed it into a cup of water and took that at least 3 times a day. You can substitute your daily intake with this mixed drink. The supergreen drink also super alkalizes your body and blood.

Also, keep on taking your supplements at least 3 times per day (mine was Black Cherry Concentrate Pills, Potassium supplements and Alpha Lipoic Acid 100mg each time)

Instead of coffee, ( I was a heavy coffee drinker) I substitute it for Organic Yerba Mate (also gotten from Trader Joes or Whole Foods)

I did this for 1 week, my fast ended of course after 3 days and while my foot was healing up, I even dared to eat beef and rib eye steaks (during valentines day) and beef stew with rice, chicken, pork, mushrooms all this time and it never flared up. I also had at least several nights where I drank a glasses of wine and champagne and my gout did not get worse.

I just kept doing this while eating my normal diet prior to gout and it continues to mend, feeling better everyday and finally, able to walk normally.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper wits7yle1
|

replied February 19th, 2013
i also want to point out taking one or two servings of Multi Vitamins a day would help AND I also ate 3 - 4 Brazil Nuts daily- These are rich in Vitamin E and Selenium.

Oh yes, and I avoided all forms of sugar or fructose. Only natural sugar or honey that I've personally eaten but in very limited amounts with my ACV concoction and coffee or Yerba Mate.

I've found out that Sweetners are very acidic. So no diet sodas, or sweeteners.

I've found that this forum have helped me a lot so I'm going to do my part and pay it forward when I find that things are helping me. So I hope this helps you guys out there in some way shape or form because I KNOW the pain is not fun whatsoever. It severely cripples you and your lifestyle.
|

replied February 26th, 2013
about gout
Gout is a type of arthritis affected by too much uric acid in the blood stream. The propensity to develop gout and important blood uric acid level if often inherited. Gout is also called metabolic arthritis, the uric acid pledges than move to the edges of the body causing the body swelling reaction in and around the muscle area. Gout pain attack can be caused by dehydration, injure, fever, heavy eating, heavy alcohol consumption. See your doctor for gout test. Rest the inflamed joint and elevate it. Don’t try to walk off a gouty knee, apply ice to gouty joint 20 mints, keep clothes and blankets off a gouty joint, and reflect allopurinol to block the metabolic conversion of purines into uric acid.
|

Thanks for that. It was just what I needed. Also try Mt. Capra Goat Whey instead of cream or milk in coffee. It's alkaline-based, and it tastes really great! Sent a friend in Fl some of it, and first time he tried it he wasn't sure, but later he said he didn't use enough, and when he used a heaping tblsp, he said he LOVED it! Zevia sodas also are good-- they use stevia only to sweeten, another alkaline and natural product, from plants. Thanks for mentioning the lemon juice to add to water. I have R.O. (Reverse Osmosis)water, and it is a bit acidic. I now plan to use lemon with that. I have gouty changes to my fingers, no toes, and Solgar Wheat Germ Oil taken daily helped me- also rubbed under my arms into my lymph. It seemed to be the thing that took the pain from my fingers. Both parents had gout but in their big toe. I do not plan to let that happen but will change my diet to more alkaline..hear that can stop A LOT of disease processes...more vegs, fruits, Mt Capra whey, beet powder (Swanson vites) makes a nice sweet drink (don't add too much water or it gets unsweet), and Stevia liquid (drops) to sweeten drinks. Hope you get off all the drugs- after a while, they can cause unneeded side effects. But I bet you won't need them if you keep staying alkaline and eating healthy!! I will pray you can! Smile
|

Thanks for that. It was just what I needed. Also try Mt. Capra Goat Whey instead of cream or milk in coffee. It's alkaline-based, and it tastes really great! Sent a friend in Fl some of it, and first time he tried it he wasn't sure, but later he said he didn't use enough, and when he used a heaping tblsp, he said he LOVED it! Zevia sodas also are good-- they use stevia only to sweeten, another alkaline and natural product, from plants. Thanks for mentioning the lemon juice to add to water. I have R.O. (Reverse Osmosis)water, and it is a bit acidic. I now plan to use lemon with that. I have gouty changes to my fingers, no toes, and Solgar Wheat Germ Oil taken daily helped me- also rubbed under my arms into my lymph. It seemed to be the thing that took the pain from my fingers. Both parents had gout but in their big toe. I do not plan to let that happen but will change my diet to more alkaline..hear that can stop A LOT of disease processes...more vegs, fruits, Mt Capra whey, beet powder (Swanson vites) makes a nice sweet drink (don't add too much water or it gets unsweet), and Stevia liquid (drops) to sweeten drinks. Hope you get off all the drugs- after a while, they can cause unneeded side effects. But I bet you won't need them if you keep staying alkaline and eating healthy!! I will pray you can! Smile
|

replied March 12th, 2013
Uloric is for me.
After suffering from this hereditary disease (Thanks Mom)for 25 years,My doctor got me to go on 40 mg dosage "Uloric" a daily maintenance drug almost 2 1/2 years ago. Life was great! Until this past weekend, I missed my meds for 2 days and "Boom"! got a major flair up. Previously I used Indomethacin to treat flair ups, but Uloric protected me from this painful scurge for teh longest period of time, since I discovered I had it. I tried everything else, Black cherry juice, etc... but haven't found anything better than ulioric. Once you start don't stop, In my case it came back almost immediately. Your Quality of Life really takes a hit when you have attacks. My pain level is at an 8-10 range when I get major attacks. I had forgotten how miserable you can be when it occures. I won't miss my scheduled maintenence again. This works for me and that's all I know. Once you get it, you'll always have it, you can only manage it.
good luck
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2013
I too had a great experience with Uloric. I've had gout since 1995 (my first attack) and was on Allopurinal for years with very minor improvements. A few years ago my DR put me on Uloric and what a difference that made.

Since that time, I'm pretty much off all gout meds but I do keep Indocin handy, always.

I finally got serious about watching what I eat and haven't had but a couple of small and very minor flare ups. As I said, I keep a perscription of Indocin handy at all times, just in case but by changing my diet, I've managed to manage my gout instead of the other way around! Smile

The #1 thing you can do to help reduce the frequency and severity of gout flare ups, other than a DR perscribed medication like Uloric, is to drink plenty of water - more than the recommended 8 glasses/ day. That will help reduce the density of uric acid in your blood and help you use the restroom more often, obviously. Which for gout, is a good thing.

Next is to eliminate the things that you've probably already identified as YOUR gout triggers. (They're different for all of us)

I still eat steak, shrimp, and drink some alcohol, but I limit them and never have more than one "trigger" food in any one meal.

Hope that helps.
|

replied March 12th, 2013
I am new to this....had an acute attack in my big toe. Actually it felt like me whole foot originally. Any pressure, such as walking, hurt....and now I realize this had been going on for 3 years I just kept favoring that foot. I cannot believe I kept ignoring it,,thinking it would go away in time.
I just spent a week in hospital
Getting it diagnosed, then treated....the hospital bed was great since I could elevate my foot so easily.
I am trying to get a handle on what to eat, drink, etc. but keep getting totally opposite opinions. Is there a reliable source of info out there?
Thank you for any input you may have. This is bigger than one can deal with on one's own
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2013
Goityd, your going to find all kinds of information out there. There's tons of "remedies" that are supposidly guaranteed to cure gout, there's a lot of websites that are quick to take your money for a guide on "How I beat gout" etc.

Some is good but a lot is complete junk.

First off, gout is NOT curable. It is, however, completely managable and it's almost entirely managable by changing your diet. Not 100%, but close.

I've suffered for years from gout and have learned a ton and have recently put up my own website detailing what I've learned. I'm no doctor, so you'll want to for sure talk to your regular doctor about your gout and follow their recommendation until you get a really good handle on what triggers a flare up in YOU.

Keep a record of foods you eat that cause flare ups. Drink pleanty of water, 8 - 10 glasses per day, limit any foods high in purine (protein) such as red meats, seafoods and shellfish, organ meats and processed meats (my biggest gout trigger).

Also, avoid starting any new exercise program that causes "new" stress and shocks to your feet (or whatever joints are commonly effected by gout) until you can get a doctor's recommendation.

If you care to, you can get my website from my full profile. I'm not sure if the folks here at eHealth want links put into these messages.. I'm pretty new here myself.

Anyway, hope that all helps. just hollar if you have any specific questions.

Ed
|

replied March 13th, 2013
Experienced User
Ed - GOUT IS CURABLE in many people by overcoming the sleep apnea that causes the attacks. It has worked for me for the past ten years, and for many others as well.
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2013
We're all entitled to our own opinions, I suppose. Congratulations on being gout-free for the past 10 years.

I have a question for ya, painfree. What did you do to get rid of your gout attacks? And, more importantly, are you still doing those things?
|

replied March 14th, 2013
Experienced User
Ed - My increasingly frequent gout attacks, occurring over a 15 year period, ceased immediately and completely after I overcame my sleep apnea 10 years ago. All that I had to do was ensure that I never allowed myself to sleep while lying on my back, which I know is not enough to overcome sleep apnea in most people. But for me it works, and I have been sleeping that way ever since then. My sleep apnea was diagnosed following a much more serious problem that had resulted from it. That problem is no longer present either, but it took 6 months before it stopped completely.

I consider the resolution of my sleep apnea to be a cure for my gout, not only because of my results, but also because there is clear medical literature which explains why sleep apnea increases uric acid and makes more likely its precipitation as the crystals which cause gout. (By the same reasoning if I had found a particular food to be the only cause of my gout, I would claim to be cured if I made sure that I never ate that food.) Those gout experts who claim that gout is not curable are speaking from ignorance, not from knowledge. I know that overcoming sleep apnea can cure gout in many people.
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2013
I've had gout since 1995 and since that time have learned a lot of things. I have heard of people talk a little bit about sleep apnea possibly being associated with gout in some people but haven't heard any specific details. Until now.

That's quite a story. Congratz on finding what sounds like your one and only trigger.

I hear you, and understand what you're saying about "curing" gout. But, in the end, my guess is that if you were to go back to your old sleeping habits of sleeping on your back you'd probably experience a relapse of gout. That's just a guess though.

So, at this point, it's a matter of semantics, and for you, you're "cured". For me, you have your gout "well managed". In the end, you're currently gout free and that's to be celebrated, for sure.

Could you point me to any literature on gout & sleep apnea?

Thanks and again, congratulations!
|

replied March 17th, 2013
Experienced User
Ed- I'll agree to call it semantics. And you're right that if I went back to my old sleeping habits, I would risk an overnight gout attack. It happened once when my body was lying on its side, but my neck was twisted so that my head was on its back. I awoke with the searing pain of gout in my foot, and my wife complaining of my excessive snoring.

An article in the medical Journal of Clinical Rheumatology explained the connection,

J Clin Rheumatol. 2010 Sep;16(6):305. doi: 10.1097/RHU.0b013e3181ef724d.
Gout as an early warning of concomitant sleep apnea.
Abrams B.

but it doesn't seem to have gained much traction in the medical community. If you want to get a copy, you probably have to buy it from the publisher or go to a library which carries that journal.

The reason it hasn't gained much traction in the medical community is that there have been no reported clinical studies taking a randomly selected group of gout patients and testing them to find out how many of them have sleep apnea. I suspect that is because almost all gout experts have some funding from pharmaceutical companies, certainly here in the US, and they don't want to jeopardize their funding by publishing about a gout "cure" which could cause the drug companies to lose business. A recently published article from a study conducted in Spain found that in a group of gout patients who were suspected of having sleep apnea, 88.9% of them were subsequently diagnosed with sleep apnea.

Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013 Feb 14. [Epub ahead of print]
Gout, hyperuricaemia, sleep apnoea-hypopnoea syndrome and vascular risk.
Cantalejo Moreira M, Veiga Cabello RM, Garca Daz V, Racionero Casero MA, Zapatero Gaviria A.
Source

Rheumatology Unit, Hospital Universitario de Fuenlabrada, Fuenlabrada, Pathology Department, Hospital Virgen de la Salud Toledo, Toledo, Pneumology Unit, Hospital Universitario de Fuenlabrada, Fuenlabrada and Internal Medicine Department, Hospital Universitario de Fuenlabrada, Fuenlabrada, Spain

My primary care physician has had all his gout patients tested for sleep apnea, finding that a large majority of them were diagnosed with it, even when he had no other reason to suspect it.

While it is important that overcoming sleep apnea can be a cure for gout, it is even more important that gout be recognized as an early indicator of sleep apnea leading to treatment for the sleep apnea when appropriate. Not only can that "cure" the gout, but it also can greatly reduce the risk for developing the life-threatening diseases known to be consequences of long term untreated sleep apnea ( eg. hypertension, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, kidney disease, and maybe cancer and Alzheimer's disease.) My primary care physician agrees that this information is saving lives.
|

replied August 22nd, 2013
I suffered from Gouty Arthritis and Pseudogout (alternating between the 2) for a full year after childbirth. I suffered for 6 months before we (the doctor and I) realized it could be Gout or some form of it. Gout does not just affect women after monopause!!!! Regular gout runs in my family but mine was also ushered in by the extreme weight gain from the pregnancy and extreme dehydration I experienced in the hospital during labor. Gouty arthritis affects knees and ankles along with toes and wrists and fingers. Pseudogout affects the hips and shoulders and elbows. Both are incredibly painful, far worse than childbirth!!!!!!!! Doing a kidney and liver detox, jumpstarted my first few days of relief which allowed me to walk again, lift the baby and with the ability to move helped me to lose a little weight. Had to keep my potassium levels balanced, sometimes with nutritious food and sometimes with low-calorie Emergen-C packets. Avoiding beans and spinach, meat and fish and other foods high in nutrines helped. If I felt an attack coming on (usually in the night),I would get up and take 2 Alleve and drink a lot of Tart Cherry juice ( i found Tart Cherry worked a little better than Black Cherry juice). Now that pregnancy weight is gone, and I continue to be well-hydrated I am symptom free. But everyone told me I would have to be on Allupurinol for life. My Dad is. I am very sensitive to prescription medicine and eventually all drugs have nasty side effects. Lots of patience, prayer and holistic practices can heal this condition. Gout, Gouty Arthritis, and Pseudogout do not just affect women after menopause. It affects young and middle-aged women as well. The ignorance on this issue is why it took so long to diagnose...
|

replied April 2nd, 2014
Read my post "How I cured gout..."

No gout attacks for the last 2 1/2 years, and I got back my full range of motion in my left toe (I lost about half the range of motion from the gout).
|
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....