Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

how do you tell if it's a lump or cyst?

User Profile
Please does a different feel of a round growth under or very close to my nipple in the right breast without any pain except when its pressed hard signify a malignant growth in anyway and how an you tell if it's a lump or cyst or what. I just turned 18, not any birth control pills or hormonal treatment and not sexually active either.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2012
Breast Cancer Answer A41041
Welcome to ehealthforum,
You could be palpating the lactiferous ducts that lie beneath the nipple. I is difficult to comment on the exact cause for the round painless growth beneath the nipple that you describe without examining it. If you are worried, you should consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist for examination and further evaluation. Breast examination (usually takes about 30 seconds per breast exam if no abnormality), consists of examining breast for any irregularities, lumps, discharge from nipples, thickening etc. During this you may keep conversating and even ask your doctor/gynecologist to teach to how to do a ‘self-breast-examination’ that you can do every month yourself. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle. Avoid self manipulation.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breast Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.