Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

How do people with asthma to cardio exercises?

Hello everyone,

I'm a 26 year old male and have had asthma my entire life since I was born. One of the biggest challenges for me is being able to exercise while not aggrivating my symptoms, specifically doing cardio. I have read that there are a number of asthma patients who can actually run, do step areobics, circuit training, etc. My question is, how do you do this? I'm not really out of shape, but everytime I want to do something like that, I will get about 10 minutes into it and I will have severe problems. I don't wheeze, but I can't get a full breath of air and my chest hurts pretty bad so I will have to to use my inhaler, and it seems like it doesn't go back to normal for about two hours. >_< I am on advair 500 and singulair but it doesn't help for exercise it seems. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

In order to increase your ability to tolerate exercises, you can consult your doctor, who can prescribe you short acting rescue inhalers (with adrenergic beta agonist -bronchodilators). Eg. albuterol (ProAir HFA, Ventolin HFA, others), levalbuterol (Xopenex HFA) and pirbuterol (Maxair Autohaler). For most people, one to two puffs of such inhalers, taken 10 to 15 minutes before exercise is enough to prevent symptoms for up to four hours, and this can help them exercise during that period.

Here are some steps to improve your exercise tolerance and reduce symptoms during exercises -

1. Warm up for about 10 minutes before strenuous exercise.
2. Do your best to avoid colds and other respiratory infections. Don't do strenuous exercise when you have a cold.
3. Avoid allergens when exercising if they worsen your symptoms. Examples include air pollution, pollen or pet dander.
4. Learn to breathe through your nose to warm air before it goes into your lungs.
5. If the weather is cold, exercise indoors or wear a mask or scarf over your nose and mouth.
6. Exercise at a level that is appropriate for you.

If you begin to experience asthma symptoms during exercise, stop and repeat your pre-exercise quick relief inhaler (albuterol). If your symptoms completely go away, you may restart the exercise. If your symptoms return, stop the activity, repeat your quick relief medication, and consult your doctor for advice.

Maintaining an active lifestyle is important for both physical and mental health. Remember: asthma is not a reason to avoid exercise. With the most effective treatment, you should be able to enjoy the benefits of an exercise program without experiencing asthma symptoms.

I hope this helps.

|

replied May 13th, 2012
asthma tolerance which works for me
Dear supa_pokute, i am 30 male and i too suffer from asthma and saw the difference (infact great walk run on treadmill for 30 min and lift weights)after making following changes....not only medications, pl check ur diet, BODY TEMPERATURE(cool body works more..suggest u oil bath weekly...head bath in endurable cool shower daily) too....i was suggested plain montek instead of MONTELUKAST since i dont tolerate the latter..it worked for me...short acting(if necessary) and long acting inhalers are must(TAKE PUFFS IN SPACER ...IT IS VERY MUCH EFFICIENT)...i suggest u quality carbs, proteins as they are very important for energy delivery ..That wud be fine if ur diet is as MORNING 6:30AM --Inhaler,750ml water,2 medium cup oats(eases respiration),1 cup --Quiona (protein)(try chick pea or groundnut latter, multivitamin tablet(preferably amway ..yes it is costly BUT there are returns),WORKOUT,,,,,, MORNING 9:00AM---Water, 1 medium cup oats, brown rice(quality carb)(very important for stamina),1 cup --Quiona, AFTERNOON: Water, 1 medium cup oats,quiona, brown rice EVENING:5:30PM: Water, 1 medium cup oats,quiona,,,WORKOUT,,, DINNER: 08:00: Magnesium tablet from amway,,,Water, 1 medium cup oats,quiona, brown rice....vegetable soup daily,FRUITS WHICH U CAN TOLERATE, NUTS (almonds and cashew), DRY FRUITS are not be avoided........that wud be difficult to prepare this diet in start BUT WILL DEFINITELY WORK..... TRUST ME..............STICK MOTIVATIONAL POSTERS,QUOTES , PROVERBS AROUND YOU....DONT FORGET TO WARM UP YOURSELF BEFORE WEIGHT LIFT...TRY TO INCLUDE WEIGHT LIFT IN YOUR ROUTINE AS THEY WILL INCREASE YOUR SELF CONFIDENCE TO OVERCOME YOUR BIRTH TIME COMPANION CALLED asthma.....WHILE LIFTING WEIGHTS CONCENTRATE IN EXHALE AND INHALE WHICH IMPROVES ACTION OF LUNGS....PLAY YOUR FAVORITE PUMPING UP SONGS DURING YOUR WORKOUT...EMINEM COMPLETELY HELPS ME...DIVERT YOURSELF IN YOUR HOBBY DAILY AT LEAST FOR HALF AN HOUR ...BREATHING EXERCISE AND YOGA REALLY HELPS(MUST BE PART OF UR DAY)(preferably isha yoga which will help ur spiritual calmness which in turn regulates respiration)....breathing exercise and yoga only ease ur respiration but for muscle power U OUGHT TO lift weights..........HAVE A CHECK IN UR NOSTRILS IF THEY ARE BENT, ANY POLYPS WHICH AFFECT AIR FLOW.....IF NECESSARY USE TEMPORARY RELIEVERS AND CONSULT A DOCTOR.......my relieving workouts :cardio(treadmill), reverse leg curl which eases low back and in turn respiration,arm and chest workouts, weighted ab decline crunch which strengthens ur ab so that u can get tight feel.... GOOD LUCK ...NOW LETS **** THIS ASTHMA GHOST....will inform u latter if i did miss anything
|

replied May 13th, 2012
missed ---QUALITY NOT quantity sleep and rest...
Take honey which relieves respiration at night....
if needed consult a doctor and take allegra
medium or loose fitting clothes..a big NO NO to tight clothes
Doctors,,,please correct my posts if anything wrong/to be altered
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.