Medical Questions > Mental Health > PTSD Forum

How do I get over my PTSD quickly?

Less than a year ago, I was raped by my abusive boyfriend. As a result, my mind suppressed those memories for a very long time. By the time I got them back, I was in a healthy, happy relationship with the guy of my dreams- we had even moved in together.

But I can see how my PTSD is wearing on him. I have constant panic attacks whenever I see, hear, smell or feel something that remind me of my abuser, the rape itself or the room that it happened in. He is also bi-polar and has a lot of problems in him own life, I am running out of ideas. he cannot go to therapy of any kind due to trauma from when he was a child.

I go to therapy once a week but I am not on medications. I didn't want to go on any medications, but now after my latest meltdown and seeing how much they upset him I am more open to going on an anti-anxiety medication or an anti-depression. I already had 'reactive depression' and a very difficult anxiety disorder before the rape.

Would perhaps revisiting the area around where it happened help me? I know it would be hard, and I would freak out publicly but if it helps to end this faster, I'll do it.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions are much appreciated. I just need this to be over with. I want to be able to have a normal relationship and a functioning life.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper WIFI1
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
Experienced User
Hi Nicolette,

The only quick fix to what you are suffering from is getting you life right, and the only way that can happen is through forgiveness and love.

All you are doing is chasing yourself in circles.

The life you are living is the reason for your continuation of your fearful and tramatic life.

I am sorry my dear Nicolette, the only quick fix to your extreme traumatic experience is to "forgive".

And for forgiveness can only be seen and developed by a life with God. Seek a church who has a ministry for your suffering.

Blessings.
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
Experienced User
Hey Nicollete, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder does not go away quickly. You went through a very traumatic event that takes time and healing. I don't know about visiting the place where it happened, but the idea of meds, and keeping therapy is a good idea. I think with that, you're on the right path. Maybe when something triggers you back to the though of the event, you can tell yourself that your safe, and that you're fine, also that maybe instead, try to picture something else, when you feel triggered. I hope you recover fully sooner than later. Take care.
|

replied February 4th, 2012
Experienced User
Amowns I know you mean well, and I am sorry if my response seemed abrupt to Nicollete, but it wasn't meant to be. I know about PTSD, because I had to overcome and conquer, and I am sorry, but the only way to such a thing like this is to bring yourself to a stage of forgiveness. Yes, I know we can yell out and say: "How can I forgive him for he did!"

PTSD is like a fish-hook impaled in your skin, and I agree with you that it's not a good idea to return to the place because Nicolette will not be able to face her demons.

Drugs are not the answer, but I can assure you and everyone else that forgiveness and love is the only medicine to start anyone on recovery, drugs don't remove the pain, and picturing something else doesn't remove the pain.

But, if you have been there, and know all about PTSD then please share how you overcome and conquered it.

Best Regards and with no offence toward you.
|

replied February 21st, 2012
The only way I overcame PTSD was time. Decades of time.
|

replied February 4th, 2012
Experienced User
Non taken actually, I didn't really pay attention to your response. I just read what she was going through, and know alot about PTSD from psychology and experience as well. And, I agree with you, forgiveness is really the way to move on, and make peace with yourself. There meds that do help with forgetting events that are painful. But, as for personal experience, I just try to forget about it, honestly, and when something triggers it for me, I distract myself from it. I completely understand that you mean no offense or anything, and everyone has their own opinion. I think just as long as we're trying our best to give advice, then it's good to help. I'm not offended or anything lol, I like your answer, and have respect as well. take care!
|

replied February 5th, 2012
Experienced User
Hi Amowns,

Thanks for that, all I want to do is help Nicolette the best way we can, because I understand exactly what she is going through, but sadly we can experience all the same, but not the same as the other person.

It's a long road and as impossible as it may seem, it becomes possible through faith and God's mercy.

Best Regards
|

replied July 9th, 2012
try readind "ptsd sourcebook" it has self-help methods and excercises you do with professionals but you do them at home by yourself. saves money and time in my opinion.
|

replied February 4th, 2013
After marrage i will not perform my sex it ends only 10 second how i will solve it
|
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....