Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

How can I tell if alcohol consumption is damaging my body?

I'm a female in my late 20's, 110lbs, active lifestyle, healthy diet, and I usually drink a little over 750ml (a bottle) of whisky each week. If I finish the bottle in two or three days I still wait a week before I buy another. I've had no trouble abstaining from alcohol and made a point to stop drinking for a few months a couple times just to see if I had any withdrawal symptoms, but it wasn't difficult -- just dissatisfying. (I had a much harder time when I tried to abstain from coffee.) I've never been hungover and it seems to take quite a lot of alcohol for me to feel the effects at all. My partner doesn't drink and he isn't bothered by my drinking because he says I don't seem any different when I'm drinking and when I'm not. When I drink I tend to sleep better (it's more effective and with fewer discernable side effects than the sleeping pills I was prescribed) and get more work done (I do creative work on a very irregular schedule), but my mood and temperament don't really seem to change much except that I feel more relaxed and productive when I'm drinking on a regular basis.

I don't think I'm an alcoholic but it's difficult to evaluate myself. I wasn't sure where else to post this. I'm more concerned with what this might be doing to my body physically. When I go for my yearly check-ups my doctor never finds any problems. The effects of alcohol that I feel are so mild that it took quite a while for it to occur to me that I might be drinking too much. I never get drunk, so it never *feels* like too much. What sort of effects on might 750ml of whisky per week have on my body? I've read online about the effects of alcohol, but I'm wondering about my specific body with my specific amount of alcohol consumption.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2014
(online)

Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

LFTS , RFTs and metabolic profile should be done in addition to a neurological exam to see if any insult has been done by the alcohol consumption. A fiboscan or an Ultrasound abdomen may also be indicated to see for any fibrosis. The CAGE questionare including a psychiatric evaluation should also be done.

CAGE questionare includes the following

1.Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?
2.Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
3.Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?
4.Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (Eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover

wishing you best of health

thanks

|

replied December 2nd, 2014
1.Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?
- No, I've only wondered if there's any health reasons why I should be.
2.Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
- No, nobody has ever commented on my drinking.
3.Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?
- No, I've never felt guilty about drinking.
4.Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (Eye-opener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover.
- No, I don't feel the need to steady my nerves in the morning or get rid of a hangover because I haven't had a hangover in years and I don't tend to get nerves.

This doesn't really address my concerns about alcohol's impact on my physical health though. I'm mainly wondering if this amount of alcohol would have a serious impact on my liver for someone of my body type drinking this amount of alcohol weekly. Again, I am very healthy healthy overall, zero-cholesterol diet with limited sugar intake, 2-3 hours of exercise daily, never get hungover or drunk. For some reason I just seem to have an extremely high tolerance.
|

replied November 20th, 2014
750ml? That seems like an ok amount to be spread over 7 days. But youll most likely start to increase you consumption. Dont over due it. Theres a line between be creative and than be dependent.
|

replied December 24th, 2014
Experienced User
The effects of alcohol drinking and what should be necessary steps to be taken.In starting phase keep a small amount or no alcohol at home. Don't keep temptations around.Drug addiction cause more illness. A person who is addicted for drug or alcohol. He must be totally upset by physically or mentally.
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.