Medical Questions > Nutrition > Diets and Diet Plans Forum

How can i gain weight slowly through months?

User Profile
Height: 5\'6"
Weight: Anorexic build of 55 kg.
Caloric Maintain: 1800

I wish to rebuild up to 60 kg, but through a slow process so I can enjoy eating a bit more whilst ensuring health and safety. Last year I went through a binge stage of lots of junk eating. On a daily basis I was having chocolate, lollies, KFC for lunch, a large mocha and big cookie and much more fatty (and half disgusting) food. It took four months to put just 6 kg on. Well, the past two weeks I have been eating more and calories etc, but I have happened to place 2 kg on already. I am sure it\'s body weight and not water retention / sodium levels. (Lately I have had high sodium consumption though). I would like some advice to a slow gain so I can gain 5 kg by September.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2015
Diets and Diet Plans Answer A51717
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

Thinness and fitness are two different things. One can be thin and yet fit, whereas one can be fat and unhealthy. What is important is that the weight should not be below the normal percentile for your age, waist circumference and height. If that is the case the probably you do not eat well. If you eat well, you may be having worms in the stool. Hence a stool test is a must.

If your family in general is thin and skinny, there is nothing much you can do about it. Even without genetic predominance, some people are light weight. The other factors are presence of diseases like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, tuberculosis, poor diet, eating disorders, malabsorption syndromes, and cancers.

You can consult your doctor regarding this and eliminate these causes of low weight. If all is fine, consult a nutrition expert and build up a good diet program. A physical fitness trainer then can help you gain some muscle mass. However do not go for this unless the medical causes are ruled out because you may need to modify the diet and exercise program according to the problem you have.

Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Diet
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diets and Diet Plans , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.