Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

3-6 hours of sleep until I wake up and cant go back to sleep

Im 14 years old and yesterday school started after two weeks of holidays. I went to bed at 11 PM and woke up at 4 AM. I tried to go back to sleep but I just couldnt. At 6 AM I got up and got ready for school. After school I was really tired and took an hour long nap, but I was still extremely tired. I went to bed at 9 PM and fell asleep in a second. I woke up at 2:30 AM and tried my best to fall asleep, but it didnt work. Its 6 AM right now and Ive done some homework, as I couldnt do them yesterday because I was so tired. The thing is, this didnt happen in my holiday, and I get really cranky when I dont get enough sleep. Do I have insomnia?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 8th, 2014
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi Vaffi. Insomnia is generally considered to be the inability to either fall asleep or stay asleep for the desired amount of time. It can be a varying combination of the two.

But what's really important for you is to make this better. And you can.

You will help yourself a lot by establishing and keeping a consistent sleep schedule. Especially important is a consistent wake time, 7 days a week to the best of your ability.

Do not allow yourself to sleep in. Minimize any naps during the day to no more than about 20 minutes. If you sleep in or take long naps, you reduce your prior wakefulness and ability to sleep well that night.

Also be sure to get some exercise and fresh air outside in the sun every day if you can.

Someone your age should be getting closer to 9 or even 10 hours of sleep per night. Start with setting a consistent wake time, then set your bed time from there.

Then just relax and let it go. Be confident you can make this better.
|

replied January 8th, 2014
First of all, thanks for a reply Smile Yesterday I woke up at 4 AM, didnt take any naps, and went to bed at 9 PM 'cause i was extremely tired, but I woke up at 4:30 AM ! , getting only 7 hours of sleep. Its 4:50 now so im gonna try to sleep and ill update later
|

replied January 10th, 2014
Update: So I didnt get to sleep agsin, but I did stay up till 10 PM without taking any naps, and I slept till 6 AM so im pretty much fixed Smile
|