User Profile
I have arthritis in my's a given. But one finger (middle first joint) is hot all the time, hurts so bad and is now turning sideways. I'm only 56 and can't imagine what it will be like in a few years. What kind of doctor do I go to and what (if anything) can be done to slow this down? I'm not a huge fan of medicine. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2011
Arthritis Answer A20084
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the onset of deformity in your finger in the backdrop of arthritis of hands.
Inflammatory arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis is chronic disease of unknown cause and variable course. Some patients experience only a mild illness with minimal joint damage whereas others have progressive disease with marked functional impairment but the therapy for RA is known to retard the progression of disease especially with DMARDs like Methotrexate etc. Also, those with high titres of rheumatoid factor, C-reactive protein and haptoglobin have a worse prognosis and a more aggressive and progressive joint damage.
You must have complete battery of tests as advised by your doctor and immediately start on therapy to assist in the modification of disease progression.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.