Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

horrible burning sensation after sex

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
Hi, recently I have been getting a horrible burning sensation after sex that lasts from about 10 minutes up to an hour.
It started happening about 3 weeks ago. I have been on the microgynon pill now for almost a year and me and my boyfriend, who i have been with for a year havent used condoms since i went on the pill. I would really like to know if you have any idea what it is, and anything that i could do? It is very painful and uncomfortable.
Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 29th, 2012
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A32170
Welcome to ehealthforum,
The symptoms that you describe could suggest possibility of vaginal infections, vaginal dryness/lack of lubrication, hormonal disturbance, sensitivity to seminal fluid proteins etc. The exact cause can only be made out after careful evaluation. Consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination and further evaluation to look for the underlying cause for the symptoms that you describe. Treatment as indicated (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you control the symptoms. Avoid vaginal douching, use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid use of tight fitting clothes. If infective cause is detected, and if you are sexually active, get your partner also treated simultaneously, and avoid having intercourse while being on treatment to prevent chances of re-infection. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.